This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8216 / 51°49'17"N
Longitude: -4.0072 / 4°0'25"W
OS Eastings: 261755
OS Northings: 215567
OS Grid: SN617155
Mapcode National: GBR DV.WJP2
Mapcode Global: VH4J9.HGDX
Plus Code: 9C3QRXCV+J4
Entry Name: The Red Lion Inn
Listing Date: 1 February 1973
Last Amended: 27 August 1999
Source ID: 15617
Building Class: Commercial
Location: At the south side of Llandeilo Road, about 50m west of the Parish Church.
Community: Llandybie (Llandybïe)
Locality: Llandybie village
Built-Up Area: Llandybie
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A date-stone on the front states 'This House was Built by David Fisher, Ano Domi 1786'. In 1840 it was described as the Red Lion homestead, on the Cawdor estate, tenanted by David Lewis. It remained a tenancy on the estate until the mid-C20. It was here that Cawdor farm tenants came on Lady Day to pay their rent and be treated to the 'cinio rent' in the upper room.
Two-storey public house of 6 windows facing directly onto the road, the front following the slight curve. Creamwashed rubble masonry, the north-east corner slightly rounded. Slate roof with tile ridge; slightly sprocketted at the eaves. Ornamental brackets above window positions. Four pairs of rebuilt brick stacks set diagonally on rendered square bases. Sides and rear plain-rendered and cream coloured. The rear elevation has a staircase projection centrally and to the east a later parallel range of two windows, with fire-escape stairs; to west irregular recent catslide extensions. Single-storey extension at west end.
C19 sash-windows of four panes in exposed frames, in cambered-head openings with brick arches and stone sills. One of the lower windows has been walled up. Central cambered-head doorway. Flat-topped porch in simplified classical style with thin timber columns, architrave and a plain cornice above brackets. Two round columns on low stone bases. The doorway is outlined in plain render; six-panel door, the bottom panels flush. Rectangular overlight. On the transom is a small metal plate with the words 'Air raid warden'.
Layout of the original single-depth inn or farmhouse still apparent, with the stairs wing projecting opposite the entrance; bar interiors altered.
A fine late-Georgian country inn of modest character, with much intact detail.
Other nearby listed buildings