History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr), Monmouthshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9098 / 51°54'35"N

Longitude: -3.0146 / 3°0'52"W

OS Eastings: 330304

OS Northings: 223962

OS Grid: SO303239

Mapcode National: GBR F5.PYP3

Mapcode Global: VH78T.P8P8

Entry Name: Barn at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm

Listing Date: 20 December 1994

Last Amended: 29 January 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15658

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Set into the steep slope to north-east and downhill from Ty Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse. The farm lies approximately 1km uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via

County: Monmouthshire

Town: Abergavenny

Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)

Community: Crucorney

Locality: Cwmyoy

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Pandy

History

History: Dated 1720 with initials J W. but reuses earlier material, perhaps from the C16/C17 house.

Exterior

Substantial roughly squared rubblestone barn with corrugated asbestos sheet roof. South-west side has offset porch with boarded doors and is unusual for retaining its cobbled ramp entrance. Flanked by slit ventilators. Timber lintel to low-set door into cow-byre at south-east corner; fine 8-light (reused) diamond-mullioned window on gable end with three tiers of slit ventilators above. The barn is set into the hillside and this gable is the down hill end with an understorey.

Interior

4-bays with queen strut trusses and through purlins. Threshing bay towards downhill end with vertically set flags to the edge. Cow-byre to downhill end.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special interest as a well-preserved barn dated 1720. Group value with Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse and Stables.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Stables at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm
    Set into slope immediately opposite the farmhouse and within its forecourt. The farm lies approximately 1km uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via a track f
  • II* Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse
    Impressively sited on steeply sloping ground uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via a track from Penywern Farm. Retains stone forecourt wall and boundary wa
  • II Ty Charles
    About 600 metres NE of Cwmyoy church, reached by track which begins at Pen-y-Wern.
  • II Tomb of Daniel (Chandler?) at Church of St Martin
    About 20 m east of the chancel of the Church of St Martin.
  • I Church of St Martin
    In the centre of Cwmyoy village on the east slope of the Vale of Ewyas. It stands in a churchyard with a fine collection of well cut memorials.
  • II Cross in St Martin's Churchyard
    10m south of the porch of the Church of St Martin.
  • II Daren Uchaf Farmhouse
    On the eastern flank of the Vale of Eywas about 2km south of Llanthony and approached by a rough track from the road.
  • II Outhouse/Detached Kitchen at Coed Farm
    About 10m west of Coed Farmhouse.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.