Cross in St Martin's Churchyard
A Grade II Listed Building in Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr), Monmouthshire
Latitude: 51.9042 / 51°54'15"N
Longitude: -3.0202 / 3°1'12"W
OS Eastings: 329910
OS Northings: 223339
OS Grid: SO299233
Mapcode National: GBR F5.Q9GC
Mapcode Global: VH78T.LDQM
Plus Code: 9C3RWX3H+MW
Entry Name: Cross in St Martin's Churchyard
Listing Date: 9 January 1956
Last Amended: 29 January 1998
Source ID: 1934
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: 10m south of the porch of the Church of St Martin.
Community: Crucorney (Crucornau Fawr)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A medieval cross of probably C15 date.
Limestone. Steps, base and shaft of medieval churchyard Cross. Three decreasing steps, an eight sided socket stone with corner broaches, and a tapering octagonal shaft with corner broaches.
Reasons for Listing
Included as a surviving medieval churchyard cross having group value with the church.
Scheduled Ancient Monument No 142.
Other nearby listed buildings
Church of St Martin
In the centre of Cwmyoy village on the east slope of the Vale of Ewyas. It stands in a churchyard with a fine collection of well cut memorials.
Tomb of Daniel (Chandler?) at Church of St Martin
About 20 m east of the chancel of the Church of St Martin.
About 600 metres NE of Cwmyoy church, reached by track which begins at Pen-y-Wern.
Impressively sited on steeply sloping ground uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via a track from Penywern Farm. Retains stone forecourt wall and boundary wa
Stables at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm
Set into slope immediately opposite the farmhouse and within its forecourt. The farm lies approximately 1km uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via a track f
Elevated site on the western side of the Vale of Ewyas opposite Cwmyoy; reached by a track off the by-road that runs up the valley from Llanvihangel Crucorney. Set in the slope with rubble walled fore
Barn at Ty-Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farm
Set into the steep slope to north-east and downhill from Ty Hwnt-y-Bwlch Farmhouse. The farm lies approximately 1km uphill from Cwmyoy Church on the eastern slopes of the Vale of Ewyas; reached via
Outhouse/Detached Kitchen at Coed Farm
About 10m west of Coed Farmhouse.