History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rhydycar Skew Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Troed-y-rhiw, Merthyr Tydfil

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7364 / 51°44'11"N

Longitude: -3.377 / 3°22'37"W

OS Eastings: 305007

OS Northings: 205086

OS Grid: SO050050

Mapcode National: GBR HN.1Z41

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.FM17

Entry Name: Rhydycar Skew Bridge

Listing Date: 14 February 1995

Last Amended: 29 July 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15676

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located S of Rhydycar Leisure Centre and crossing the line of the former Glamorganshire Canal beneath a tall embankment.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Community: Troed-y-rhiw

Community: Troed-y-Rhiw

Locality: Rhydycar

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

The Vale of Neath Railway was begun in 1847 to link Merthyr Tydfil with the ports of Neath and Swansea and was completed to Merthyr in 1853. The engineer for the railway was I. K. Brunel (1806-1859). The Rhydycar skew bridge carried the railway on a high embankment across the Glamorganshire Canal. The first design for the bridge was objected to by the Canal Company in 1849, who demanded a much wider span, of over 12m, which would accommodate the canal at its full width together with the towing path. The bridge was eventually constructed on a skew with one central arch of the size demanded and two additional arches.

Exterior

A three arched bridge of sandstone and brick with a large elliptical arch to the centre and a round-headed arch on either side, separated by thin, tapering piers. The arches are of red brick, with five courses to the centre arch and three to the flanking arches. The piers, walls and wings are of bullnozed sandstone. The walls curve continuously from the wings to the apex, which is below the level of the embankment carried above. There are three round headed relieving arches with pronounced stone voussoirs linking the central arch transversely to the arches on either side.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an unusually distinguished railway bridge by the foremost railway engineer of the mid nineteenth century.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Rhydycar Canal Bridge
    Located S of Merthyr College and crossing the line of the former Glamorganshire Canel E of Ynysfach housing estate.
  • II St Tydfil's Church
    Situated in an enclosed churchyard at S end of High Street close to roundabout on A470 road.
  • II Gates & Railings at St Tydfil's Churchyard
    Running along the High Street side of churchyard and curving round the S part to join the outer face of W tower.
  • II Ironwork Fountain Canopy
    Set on modern concrete base in open ground immediately S of St Tydfil’s churchyard. Formerly located in centre of road further S, close to site of modern roundabout.
  • II The Court House
    Set at right angles to Court Street which runs NE from High Street and under the railway embankment before passing The Court House to reach the terraced housing on the hillside at Twyn-yr-Odyn.
  • II Garden walls and gatepiers at Upper Abercanaid House
    Located on the S and E side of Upper Abercanaid House.
  • II Zion Chapel (Capel Seion)
    Built across the steep slope with frontage forward to road.
  • II Schoolroom at Zion Chapel
    Built across the steep slope with frontage forward to road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.