This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7149 / 51°42'53"N
Longitude: -4.7165 / 4°42'59"W
OS Eastings: 212438
OS Northings: 205288
OS Grid: SN124052
Mapcode National: GBR GD.P5WT
Mapcode Global: VH2PL.65G6
Entry Name: Former Bonville's Court Colliery Power House
Listing Date: 26 September 1994
Last Amended: 7 May 1997
Source ID: 15834
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located in the W side of Bonville's Court Caravan Park 1 km NW of Saundersfoot.
Locality: Bonville's Court Caravan Park
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Bonville's Court Colliery operated from 1842 to 1930, during which time it remained one of the most important collieries in Pembrokeshire. It produced anthracite of exceptional quality, which was particularly valuable in the malting trade, being used in SE England and overseas. Bonville's Court was one of the most organised and mechanised of Pembrokeshire's collieries. In 1925 it employed 3-400 men and was responsible for 82% of the coal output of the County. After closure in 1930 its screens continued in use for some years for coal from nearby pits. Several features from the colliery survive at the Tower Pit site, begun in 1847, now within the caravan park: including the heapstead, power house, weighbridge house, pay office, carpenter's shop, and former railway alignments.
The Power House contained steam engines to generate electricity for the colliery and may also have contained pumping equipment. It originally had a hipped roof, but was reduced to a smaller building at the turn of the century: one half having a gabled slate roof added, and the other a monopitch corrugated roof. The whole building is of coursed sandstone rubble. There are several semi-circular brick arches now blocked to the W and E elevations. The gabled section has two sash windows to the N elevation, each three panes by seven, and a large brick arch to the E originally for access by wagons. The bearing for a machine drive through the wall can be seen at the SW corner of the structure.
Listed for group value within the Bonville's Court Colliery complex, one of the most significant remaining from the important Pembrokeshire anthracite trade.
Other nearby listed buildings