This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.697 / 52°41'49"N
Longitude: -3.2681 / 3°16'5"W
OS Eastings: 314401
OS Northings: 311787
OS Grid: SJ144117
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.3220
Mapcode Global: WH79F.RGZS
Plus Code: 9C4RMPWJ+QQ
Entry Name: Glascoed Mill
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 15984
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located on an artificial millrace across a meander of the River Vyrnwy, north of the confluence with the River Banwy, accessed by a trackway behind Maesnewydd.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The C18 or early C19 water powered two-stone corn mill at Glascoed originally had a standard undershot wheel, pit and spur wheel drive for two stones and a layshaft. It was adapted to generate electricity for the newly formed Meifod and District Electric Lighting Co. Ltd. in 1923 to supply the village with power for lighting, and was improved in 1927 with the addition of an automatic governor. It continued to function in a dual r_le, including grinding corn, until c.1953, the stones being driven by belt. The Gwalchmai family owned the mill from the 1890's, last miller being Alfred Gwalchmai.
Limewashed rubble stonework, with slate roof, hipped at S end. Three storeys, with added lower bay at N end with door and window, and former wheel pit at S end in a timber weatherboarded structure now with a corrugated iron roof.
Of 2 bays, Ground, first (stone) and attic(hoist) floors. On the ground floor stable door and a loading door to the stone floor. Two light windows with segmental heads. Various iron tie bars with iron felloes forming end restraints. Chimney at N end, partially reduced in height. Building extended back from river with a lower 2-storey stone structure with door and window to upper floor.
Immediately SW of the mill, the main water entry flume has two sets of cog operated paddles and sluices.
The external waterwheel was apparently removed in 1923, and partially filled. The low section contains a vertical shaft with a large horizontal iron turbine at low level and a spoked belt pulley at the top, connected by belt, turned by an idler through 45 degrees to engage the main horizontal mill drive. The turbine wheel itself has, above the multiple cupped blades, a chainlink control mechanism engaged by an escapement rocker on a vertical shaft, geared to a horizontal shaft passing diagonally across at high level to an auxiliary oil engine.
Ground floor is divided into two unequal bays, the larger northern bay a workshop with continuous bench against the E wall set over a horizontal layshaft. Small portable belt-driven grindstone. The narrow S bay, originally for the pit wheel, is divided off with a timber partition, and has an irregular floor 6 steps lower, and contains the two long vertical iron drive shafts for belts to engage the new (in 1923) elongated stone spindles, one with a belt pulley with curved radial arms, supported off the original wooden axle tree re-used as a floor beam. From the workshop, a dog-leg stair leads up to the stone floor with two pairs of underdrift French stones in their original octagonal vats, and complete with horses, hoppers, slippers, and quants with damsels. An ancillary horizontal drive, geared down 50% with bevel gear over the stones probably drove the wire dressing machine which is still in place in the N corner. Ladder steps to second floor which has the sack hoist pulley and drum, operated by extant chain and rope from the workshop floor via floor traps.
The lower extension building has a fireplace in the gable wall of the main block, with an iron range, and a large spoked belt drive at the end of the main horizontal drive against the E wall. The belt apparently drove the remaining ball and planets governor.
Listed as an important survival of C19 industry in the valley, with interesting adaptation for water generated power, in a remarkably complete state of survival, although derelict at the time of inspection (January 1995).
Other nearby listed buildings