History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Newbridge and Adjacent Workshop

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangyniew, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6932 / 52°41'35"N

Longitude: -3.2698 / 3°16'11"W

OS Eastings: 314275

OS Northings: 311372

OS Grid: SJ142113

Mapcode National: GBR 9V.3FLQ

Mapcode Global: WH79F.RK4N

Entry Name: Capel Newbridge and Adjacent Workshop

Listing Date: 4 November 1997

Last Amended: 19 September 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 19017

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Near the confluence of Afon Efyrnwy and Afon Banwy, to south-east of New Bridge Mechain, about 2.5km SW of Meifod.

County: Powys

Community: Llangyniew (Llangynyw)

Community: Llangyniew

Locality: Newbridge

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
New Bridge

History

Small rural Calvinistic Methodist chapel said to date from circa 1810. It is not distinguished in the Tithe Survey of Llangynyw (1849) from the row of 'dwelling houses, smithy etc.' occupied by Thomas Davies and others, but is marked on the Ordnance Survey of 1885 as 'Methodist Chapel (Calvinist)'.

Exterior

A small chapel of stone, its porch in brick, all rendered. Slate roof with black tile ridge, simple bargeboards. The chapel ranges east/west parallel to the road but is a little set back from it; it is linked by the adjacent workshop to a terrace of cottages on the east side. The chapel is entered at the corner of the left (west) gable wall; the porch sheltering this entrance is a later addition.

Boarded entrance door with strap hinges. The body of the chapel has two camber-headed 16-pane sash-windows to front and to rear, those to front hornless. Slate sills. Small round ventilators at apex of gables.

The adjacent workshop (smithy?) is in rubble stonework painted white, with at front a door to the right and two shuttered windows, one at high level and one at low level. Hearth at north-west corner.

Interior

Compactly planned chapel interior with pulpit and set fawr against west wall, and with the entrance at their left; three banks of low box pews on a raking floor. The planning of the chapel is intermediate between the long-wall access type and the type planned on the long axis.

The pews are in pine, scumble painted, and have four tall carved lamp standards. There are also two pews to the right of the set fawr. The set fawr is balustraded at front, with a built in desk. Panel-fronted pulpit with symmetrical steps; painted pilasters and arch on plaster to rear.

Interior of adjacent workshop not seen.

Reasons for Listing

An early C19 chapel of simple type which has retained its character and its plain interior, with adjacent workshop linking it to a row of cottages.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II New Bridge Einion
    Located within 200m of New Bridge Mechain, on a minor road from the A.495 to the S side of the Dyffryn Meifod.
  • II New Bridge Mechain
    Located at the SW end of the Community area, carrying the main road from Meifod to Llangyniew and Castle Cereinion over the River Vyrnwy.
  • II Glascoed Mill
    Located on an artificial millrace across a meander of the River Vyrnwy, north of the confluence with the River Banwy, accessed by a trackway behind Maesnewydd.
  • II Pig styles at Glascoed Mill
    Located to the back of the mill, facing the approach lane.
  • II Ty Brith
    Located on the N slope of the Vyrwny Valley, on the road from Newbridge to Cyfronydd, below Spout Wood.
  • II Glascoed
    Located back from the road, behind its farm buildings, on a platform site at right angles to the slope of the hill.
  • II Cowhouse and Granary on W side of Farmyard at Dyffryn Farm
    Located at right angles to the main road and forming the W side of the farmyard.
  • II Stone Building and Calf House, at the E side of the Farmyard at Dyffryn Farm
    Located on the E side of the farmyard, now behind a C20 shed, and attached to the N cowhouse by an extension of that building's roof.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.