This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1125 / 52°6'44"N
Longitude: -4.5602 / 4°33'36"W
OS Eastings: 224786
OS Northings: 249107
OS Grid: SN247491
Mapcode National: GBR D3.95HQ
Mapcode Global: VH2MQ.X51F
Plus Code: 9C4Q4C6Q+XW
Entry Name: Blaenannerch Calvinistic Methodist Chapel and Vestry
Listing Date: 20 June 1995
Last Amended: 20 June 1995
Source ID: 16083
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on N side of A487 in Blaenannerch village.
Community: Aberporth (Aber-porth)
Built-Up Area: Blaenannerch
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel founded 1794, rebuilt 1819 and 1838. Remodelled 1896 to designs by J. Jones of Rhydlewis for £600. The chapel was the starting place for the major religious revivals in 1859 and 1904-06, the latter of national importance.
1838 walls of squared sandstone with slate roof. Lateral facade with six arched openings all with vousoirs. Two centre long windows, two outer gallery lights over two doors. All woodwork of 1896, 2-light tracery in windows, cambered-headed ledged doors with crescent overlights. Centre slate plaque. W end single long window with cambered head. Rear has two long windows with 2-light tracery. E end has similar window and vestry addition of roughcast with slate roof, four cambered-headed six-pane sashes and arched door between first and second windows.
1896 fittings including fine curved ornate gallery on seven cast iron columns by Macfarlane of Glasgow. Gallery front has deep bracketed cornice over columns with fretted decoration, and above, a continuous cast iron panel of double curved profile with floral decoration. Centre framed clock. Pitch pine pews and great seat. Pulpit with curving steps up each side, arched panelling to flanks and curved panelled front. Pilastered arch behind pulpit. Plaster ceiling with centre rose.
Vestry has boarded roof to Tudor-arched profile, boarded dado, and fireplace with pine mantel and cast-iron grate. Original cast-iron and pine Sunday school benches.
Included for fine curved gallery and historical importance in 1904-06 revival.
Other nearby listed buildings