This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1429 / 52°8'34"N
Longitude: -4.4874 / 4°29'14"W
OS Eastings: 229887
OS Northings: 252319
OS Grid: SN298523
Mapcode National: GBR D6.75LB
Mapcode Global: VH3K1.5DKL
Plus Code: 9C4Q4GV7+52
Entry Name: Troedyrhiw
Listing Date: 20 June 1995
Last Amended: 20 June 1995
Source ID: 16091
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on hillside above Llanborth (Penbryn beach car-park) and reached via drive off lane to Penbryn beach.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Earlier C19 gentry house, said to have been used as vicarage in C19. House is marked on 1842 tithe map, without outbuildings, as owned and occupied by the Rev. John Hughes. Previous farm was on drive below and is identified as main house on 1838 schedule to Tithe Map, suggesting that new house may have been built between 1838 and 1842, though it looks more of the 1820s.
Roughcast, whitewashed with some ochre colouring, slate hipped roofs with deep paired-bracket eaves and three stacks, one roughcast off-centre on front ridge, large stone N side-wall stack and roughcast stack in rear valley. Basement and two storeys, near square plan, indented on rear W wall. Three-window E front with hornless 12-pane sashes, centre door up six cemented steps. Flush-panelled 6-panel door with radiating-bar fanlight, set in whitewashed porch with metal tent-roof, paired panelled doors and two narrow side lights. Basement window to right. Three-window S side with similar sashes, blank windows first floor left and right and arched blank window ground floor centre. Basement window with small-paned sliding casements to right. Rear W wall has one window range of similar sashes to right over two basement windows, and projecting two-window section to left, similar sashes each floor to left and single arched stair-light with radiating-bar head to right. Two basement windows. Roof has two hips. N side is partly whitewashed rubble stone with put-log holes. Slate paved area with shallow basin for spring. Eleven slate steps up to front courtyard. Basement ledged door and triple sliding casement to left.
Panelled shutters, six-panel doors, stick baluster dogleg stair with ramped rail. Moulded cornices.
An exceptionally little altered small gentry house still with original roughcast and whitewash finish, prominently set on well-wooded hillside above Hoffnant valley.
Other nearby listed buildings