This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0624 / 52°3'44"N
Longitude: -3.9711 / 3°58'15"W
OS Eastings: 264971
OS Northings: 242278
OS Grid: SN649422
Mapcode National: GBR DX.D7MX
Mapcode Global: VH4H5.4F0B
Plus Code: 9C4R326H+XH
Entry Name: Salem Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 2 August 1995
Last Amended: 2 August 1995
Source ID: 16266
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on W side of short lane off A482, 1.5km N of Pumpsaint (junction opposite Brynwawr). Situated in own small graveyard.
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Community: Cynwyl Gaeo
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The cause stemmed from Bethel Baptist chapel at Ffarmers. Chapel built 1829, rebuilt and enlarged 1871. 301 members in 1874.
Gothic-style gabled front of squared rubble, with raised sandstone ashlar corner pilasters continued up verges to meet at apex. Slate roof, wooden soffits, moulded wooden bargeboards. Central pointed doorway, dressed stone voussoirs, paired panelled doors, Y-tracery fanlight. Long pointed Y-traceried 15-pane window each side, dressed stone voussoirs. Triplet of pointed windows above door, taller to centre, Y-tracery glazing, dressed voussoirs. Stone sills. Roundel to gable containing wooden louvered ventilator. Carved stone tablets to gable, that to left reading; "Salem Capel y Bedyddwr. Adeiladwyd 1829. Ail adeiladwyd 1871", the other: "Salem Baptist Chapel. Built 1829. Rebuilt 1871". Rendered left elevation, three tall pointed 13-pane Y- traceried windows. Similar windows to right side. Rendered rear with two tall windows as 0front.
Dwarf stone walls to forecourt with cast iron railings and paired central cast iron gates and posts.
Elaborate 1871 interior. Boarded ceiling, coved on long sides, three large square wooden vents to sloping sides, three circular wooden vents to centre, the middle one intersected by diagonal ribs. Three sided timber slightly curving gallery on plain iron columns, moulded base and sill, long panels of decorative cast iron balustrading. Big seat with panelled sides, cast iron balustrading above. Chamfered newels to corners and side entries with carved tapering finials. Timber pulpit with polygonal front, moulded sill and base, round arched panels filled with cast iron openwork. Flanking sweeping staircases, turned balusters, newels as above. Tall plaster round-arched surround behind pulpit, fluted sides, leaf decoration to corbels and head. Pews with shaped ends, panelled backs and doors, metal eyes for Communion glasses. Raked pews to gallery. Rear lobby window with central lozenge pane, marginal coloured glazing. 1904 fixed brass offering-box in lobby.
Representative example of a later C19 rural gothic chapel with a complete interior and fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings