History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bassett Family Tomb Enclosure in Churchyard of Parish Church of St Hilary

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair (Llan-fair), Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4498 / 51°26'59"N

Longitude: -3.4169 / 3°25'0"W

OS Eastings: 301633

OS Northings: 173261

OS Grid: ST016732

Mapcode National: GBR HM.MTFM

Mapcode Global: VH6F8.QTGH

Entry Name: Bassett Family Tomb Enclosure in Churchyard of Parish Church of St Hilary

Listing Date: 22 September 1995

Last Amended: 22 September 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16419

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located within the churchyard to the E of the church.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Llanfair (Llan-fair)

Community: Llanfair

Locality: St Hilary

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cowbridge

Exterior

Pair of sarcophagi in memory of Richard and James Bassett, enclosed by high metal railings with spear finials.

Richard Bassett's tomb lies to the S and inscribed:

Richard Bassett, Esq. of Beaupre died Nov 8, 1849 aged 51 years, last male heir of the ancient family of Bassett of Beaupre. Also Frances Bassett his relict who died at Nice 2 May, 1864, aged 64.

The family armorial is carved on the tomb with the family motto in Welsh: Gwell angau na chwilydd (Better death than dishonour).

To the N of it is a tomb in memory of Major William James Bassett of Beaupre, who died in 1871. The tomb has a gabled cruciform top with family coat of arms carved at the ends.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II for historical associations and group value with the adjacent parish church and churchyard cross.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Churchyard Cross at Parish Church of St Hilary
    Located within the churchyard, to the SE of St Hilary parish church.
  • II* Parish Church of St Hilary
    Located at the centre of St Hilary village.
  • II No 1 Manor Cottages
    Situated on the edge of the village centre immediately to the SE of the churchyard of St Hilary's parish church. Set above the corner by the road junction with rubble walled garden.
  • II No 2 Manor Cottages
    Situated on the edge of the village centre immediately to the SE of the churchyard of St Hilary's parish church. Set above the corner by the road junction with rubble walled garden.
  • II Pigsty at Church Cottage
    Located to the W of Church Cottage, set within its garden, immediately to the W of the parish church of St Hilary and to the S of the Bush Inn.
  • II The Bush Inn PH
    Located immediately to the NW of the parish church of St Hilary, on the N side of the lane, leading W towards New Beaupre.
  • II Village Farm
    Located in the centre of the village of St Hilary, to the SE of the church and immediately to the SE of St Hilary Barn on the Llantrithyd Road.
  • II The Manor
    Set in its own grounds at the S edge of the village at right angles to the road. Rubble boundary wall to roadside including gateway with blank armorial type shield over stilted label. Ha-ha to garde

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.