History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glan-y-Afon

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanferres, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1474 / 53°8'50"N

Longitude: -3.2074 / 3°12'26"W

OS Eastings: 319345

OS Northings: 361818

OS Grid: SJ193618

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.5MDX

Mapcode Global: WH77B.P4WZ

Entry Name: Glan-y-Afon

Listing Date: 16 October 1995

Last Amended: 16 October 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16447

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated 0.5 km E of Tafarn-y-gelyn in its own grounds beside the River Alyn. Reached from a drive running E off the A494 between Tafarn-y-Gelyn and Loggerheads.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llanferres

Community: Llanferres

Locality: Tagarn-y-Gelyn

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llanferres

History

Attributed to Thomas Harrison, architect of Chester, the villa dates from c1810, with service wings and internal alterations of 1890. The roughcast probably replaced incised stucco.

Exterior

Roughcast with a shallow-pitched hipped slate roof with soffitted eaves, rendered chimneys, stone cill band, plinth and porch. 2 storeys with central projecting octagonal entrance bay which has a stone porch with 2 pairs of unfluted Greek Doric columns, entrance with sidelights and fanlight. Upper floor has 3 9-pane sash windows, ground floor has a larger, probably late C19 window to each side of the entrance. Flanking bays each have one 9-pane sash window to the upper floor and a taller 12-pane sash to the ground floor. To the right is a narrow bay set back with one 9-pane sash window per floor. Set back and attached to the right is the service range in similar style of 1890 with C20 alterations; left hand return elevation has a bay window. Rear elevation to garden has a central projecting bay with an iron trellis veranda, 3 9-pane sash windows to upper floor, tall 15-pane sashes to ground floor, that to left is now a door. Flanking bays have 9 and 12-pane sashes to right, to left is a single storey extension probably of 1890 which breaks forward and has a tall 3-light window in a stone surround.


.

Interior

Not accessible at time of 1995 survey; appears to retain some fireplaces of late C19 date.

Immediately to the N of the principal elevation is a pair of roughcast gatepiers with stone ball finials which show signs of alteration. Low walls attached to each side with iron railings, and the iron gates include some C18 or early C19 work.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of a restrained early C19 villa set in picturesque surroundings and almost certainly designed by Thomas Harrison.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Telephone Call-box beside Ty Capel, 1494 (W side), Tafarn-y-gelyn
    Set back into a grassy verge on the edge of main road with Ty Capel immediately to N.
  • II Bridge at Cascade Wood
    Set in the heart of Cascade Wood south east of Tafarn-y-Gelyn and west of Maeshafn. Spanning the River Alyn and reached from a woodland footpath off a lane to the east of the river.
  • II Ty'n y Fedw
    In the grounds of Colomendy Hall, on the edge of woodland approx 0.5km SSW of the hall, and S of Glan Alyn. The house is set in a stone-walled enclosure, bounded by the remains of its farm-buildings
  • II Pont-y-Mwynwr
    Situated 0.9 km W of Maeshafn close to a bridge over the River Alyn, set back off the road. Reached along a by road E off A494 towards Maeshafn; NE of Llanferres.
  • II Nant Cottage
    Reached along a by-road E off A494 towards Maeshafn; NE of Llanferres. Set back from the road, below the hill on a levelled site.
  • II Colomendy Hall
    Situated 0.3 km SE of the Loggerheads Inn PH, reached from a drive which runs S off the A494 beside the Three Loggerheads PH.
  • II Hay Barn at Colomendy Hall
    Situated to the N of Colomendy Hall immediately N of the farmyard reached from a drive which runs S off the A494 beside the Three Loggerheads PH.
  • II Pentre Mill (including Sluice and Cast Iron Flume to rear)
    Situated in the Loggerheads Country Park 0.2 km N of the Loggerheads PH, reached from a drive running N from the A494 at its junction with the by road to Cilcain.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.