This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1521 / 53°9'7"N
Longitude: -3.1978 / 3°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 319992
OS Northings: 362333
OS Grid: SJ199623
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.5HQ5
Mapcode Global: WH77B.V1DC
Entry Name: Colomendy Hall
Listing Date: 16 October 1995
Last Amended: 16 October 1995
Source ID: 16444
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated 0.3 km SE of the Loggerheads Inn PH, reached from a drive which runs S off the A494 beside the Three Loggerheads PH.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The site dates probably from C16 or earlier, in the C18 it was occupied by Catherine Jones and subsequently by the Garnons-Jones family. The artist Richard Wilson, a relative of Catherine Jones was resident 1781-2. The House was rebuilt 1810-11 and altered in the late C19 and mid and later C20. The house and estate changed hands several times in the later C19 and early C20 and was bought by Liverpool Corporation in 1956 and run as camps for sick children and visiting schools. It is still in use as a schools environmental studies centre with the hall acting as offices.
Neo-classical style, stucco with a hipped slate roof, brick chimneys, painted stone cill band, 2 storeys. 5 bay principal elevation has central recessed bay with 3 windows and entrance to right. End bays have tripartite windows set in a segmental arch flanked by niches, with an upper floor window flanked by large roundels. Windows are generally late C19 and C20. Right hand return elevation has 2 narrow projecting bays with hipped roofs and ground floor windows set in segmental arches, to left and rear is service accommodation which generally retains multipaned sash windows.
Despite C20 partitions and alterations the house retains the character it had acquired by the later C19. The entrance hall has reeded doorcases and 6-panel doors, a bracketed plaster cornice and a shallow arched opening (now with C20 infill) leading to toplit staircase hall with Ruabon tile floor. Stair has open string and turned handrail. Principal rooms generally have ornate plaster friezes and ceiling detail, early and late C19 fireplaces and 6-panel doors. There is extensive service accommodation and vaulted cellars.
Listed as a largely early C19 house which retains early and later C19 interior details, and has local historical associations of special interest.
Other nearby listed buildings