History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pentre Mill (including Sluice and Cast Iron Flume to rear)

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanferres, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1551 / 53°9'18"N

Longitude: -3.2003 / 3°12'1"W

OS Eastings: 319831

OS Northings: 362668

OS Grid: SJ198626

Mapcode National: GBR 6X.593K

Mapcode Global: WH774.TY7M

Entry Name: Pentre Mill (including Sluice and Cast Iron Flume to rear)

Listing Date: 16 October 1995

Last Amended: 29 January 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16443

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated in the Loggerheads Country Park 0.2 km N of the Loggerheads PH, reached from a drive running N from the A494 at its junction with the by road to Cilcain.

County: Denbighshire

Community: Llanferres

Community: Llanferres

Locality: Loggerheads

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llanferres

History

Early C19, on the site of an earlier building shown in a print dated 1796, the mill was used to grind corn and to power a circular saw. The roof was raised, perhaps later C19 to provide more space on the grain floor. It was in continuous use until 1942 at which time it was being used to make cattle feed. The mill was restored and opened to the public by Clwyd County Council in 1980.

Exterior

Rubble with roughly squared quoins, slate roof, 3 storeys. Windows are all horizontally sliding sashes reglazed and restored 1980. Elevation to yard has ground floor entrance with cambered arch with boarded doors and a small window above. The position of a lower steeply pitched roofline is visible in the masonry. Right hand return has a timber external stair leading to a door, a small window to the right and one small window to upper floor. Left hand return has one small centrally placed window to the ground and upper floor, 2 larger windows to first floor. Rear elevation has an overshot cast iron waterwheel with the makers name, R & W Jones Ruabon, fed by a cast iron flume by the same makers. There is a small window and a ventilation slit above the wheel and the line of the former roof can be seen in the masonry. The flume connects to a sluice with gates renewed 1980.

Interior

Not accessible at time of 1995 survey, but recorded as containing working machinery restored with some replacements, 1980. Ground floor has millstones set into the floor, drive floor to rear with mill machinery. First floor retains further mill stones and upper floor has sack hoists etc.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a small watermill which retains many original features with an intact power transmission system. Pentre Mill is the only example in the area of a series of mills along the river to survive in relatively intact condition.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Hay Barn at Colomendy Hall
    Situated to the N of Colomendy Hall immediately N of the farmyard reached from a drive which runs S off the A494 beside the Three Loggerheads PH.
  • II Colomendy Hall
    Situated 0.3 km SE of the Loggerheads Inn PH, reached from a drive which runs S off the A494 beside the Three Loggerheads PH.
  • II Ty'n y Fedw
    In the grounds of Colomendy Hall, on the edge of woodland approx 0.5km SSW of the hall, and S of Glan Alyn. The house is set in a stone-walled enclosure, bounded by the remains of its farm-buildings
  • II Glan-y-Afon
    Situated 0.5 km E of Tafarn-y-gelyn in its own grounds beside the River Alyn. Reached from a drive running E off the A494 between Tafarn-y-Gelyn and Loggerheads.
  • II Aberduna Engine House
    Situated in the edge of woodland NE of Aberduna Quarry. Reached by a footpath running W from the by road between Maeshafn and Gwernymynydd.
  • II Barn at Maes-y-Groes Bella
    Situated S of the house beside the road 2.2 km SE of Cilcain. Reached from the by-road between Loggerheads and Cilcain.
  • II* Maes-y-Groes Bella
    Situated set back from the road 2.2 km SE of Cilcain, reached from the by road between Loggerheads and Cilcain.
  • II Telephone Call-box beside Ty Capel, 1494 (W side), Tafarn-y-gelyn
    Set back into a grassy verge on the edge of main road with Ty Capel immediately to N.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.