This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6609 / 52°39'39"N
Longitude: -3.1466 / 3°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 322543
OS Northings: 307636
OS Grid: SJ225076
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5FYX
Mapcode Global: WH79P.MCTY
Plus Code: 9C4RMV63+98
Entry Name: Retaining walls, steps, gate-piers and gates to churchyard at Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16639
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The walls form the boundary of the churchyard on the S and SW sides, with a steep flight of steps leading from Church Bank, and further entrances at t
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The walls were said to have been rebuilt c1830, when the road level was altered. New steps from Church Street were provided in 1877, designed by a Mr Hurst (the borough surveyor), and erected by public subscription. The cast-iron gates at all entrances to the churchyard are all of similar style and were probably installed at the time that these new steps were provided.
Description: Roughly coursed and squared rubble retaining walls with a slight batter, and buttresses. Steps from Church Street have ashlar gate piers with ornate cast-iron gates at their foot, and cast-iron rails; there are similar gates at the Red Bank and Union Street entrances. Cast-iron lamp base mounted on a pier at the Union Street gate.
A prominent feature of the approach to the church.
Reference: M.C.J. 'Welshpool: Notes for the History of the Borough', Montgomeryshire Collections, Vol. 15, 1882, pp.272, 291.
Other nearby listed buildings