This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6608 / 52°39'39"N
Longitude: -3.1466 / 3°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 322545
OS Northings: 307631
OS Grid: SJ225076
Mapcode National: GBR B0.5FYX
Mapcode Global: WH79P.MCTZ
Plus Code: 9C4RMV63+89
Entry Name: War Memorial in churchyard at Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16642
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: At the head of the steps which are the main entrance to the Churchyard from Church Bank.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Built-Up Area: Welshpool
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Designed in 1921 by Aston Webb; erected by public subscription in 1923. Red sandstone ashlar. A tapering rectangular shaft surmounted by a tabernacle with relief carvings of local saints is set over low quadrant walls, which have inscriptions in raised lettering on their outer face, inscribed lettering on their inner face, and slate memorial slabs attached to the inner face (apparently superimposed to renew earlier inscriptions).
A fine example of a war memorial which forms a prominent feature in the townscape and at the approach to the church.
Reference: Welshpool War Memorial, bound material including original appeal document, Newtown Public Library.
Other nearby listed buildings