History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boughrood Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Bronllys, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0375 / 52°2'14"N

Longitude: -3.2701 / 3°16'12"W

OS Eastings: 312973

OS Northings: 238434

OS Grid: SO129384

Mapcode National: GBR YV.FTQ2

Mapcode Global: VH6BN.81KX

Entry Name: Boughrood Bridge

Listing Date: 15 December 1995

Last Amended: 15 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16698

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located off the A.470 N of Llyswen village, and forming the major bridge across the Wye between Glasbury and Erwood.

County: Powys

Community: Bronllys

Community: Bronllys

Locality: Llyswen

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanstephan

Exterior

History: Toll bridge built c.1838-42 by the Maesllwych Estate at the cost of £5,890, to facilitate the movement of coal, coke and lime to Brecon from Radnorshire, replacing a ford and ferry. Tolls were discontinued in 1934.

Description: Rock-faced squared rubble. Four equal span segmental 75cm arches springing from cutwaters with keeled tops, rising as pilasters to parapet level. Plat band at base of parapet and flush dowelled copings. One low flood arch at each end. The W end of the bridge was later rebuilt and incorporates weep pipes. On the N parapet, three C20 tall cast iron lamp standards by Sugg. The bridge carries the road on the level.
The bridge crosses into Boughrood parish in Radnorshire where there is a Gothic style toll house erected in 1843.

Included as a well built and preserved C19 road bridge erected by a private estate.
Reference: Haslam, R. 'Buildings of Wales' Powys. 223.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Toll Cottage at Boughrood Bridge
    Located on the SE side of Boughrood Bridge, at the Radnorshire end of the crossing to Brecknockshire
  • II Griffin Inn
    Located at the turn of the A.470 Builth to Brecon road in the centre of Llyswen village.
  • II Church of St. Gwendoline
    Located immediately NE of the centre of the village, approximately 60m from the A.470.
  • II Star House
    Located immediately S of the centre of the village, at the end of a row of two, and detached on the right. At one time an inn or 'beer-house'.
  • II Boughrood Castle
    Located E of Boughrood church, and S of the medieval castle site at Castle Farm, and approached by a driveway from the Boughrood to Glasbury Road.
  • II Village Farmhouse
    Located on the SE side of the perimeter road around the circular graveyard of Boughrood Church, approximately 200m from the church building.
  • II Barn and cowhouse range formerly with Village Farm
    Located on the SE side of the perimeter road around the circular graveyard of Boughrood Church, approximately 200m from the church building, and forming the NW and NE side of the farm yard behind Vil
  • II Lower House Farmhouse
    A farmhouse set at right angles to the road, backing on to the farmyard to the NW.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.