This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0428 / 52°2'34"N
Longitude: -3.2659 / 3°15'57"W
OS Eastings: 313273
OS Northings: 239025
OS Grid: SO132390
Mapcode National: GBR YV.FGJV
Mapcode Global: VH6BG.BXTC
Plus Code: 9C4R2PVM+4J
Entry Name: Boughrood Castle
Listing Date: 18 September 1960
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 8735
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located E of Boughrood church, and S of the medieval castle site at Castle Farm, and approached by a driveway from the Boughrood to Glasbury Road.
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The House, taking its name from the medieval motte and bailey castle, some masonry of which stood until c.1818 and probably used in the construction of the house, which was built in 1817 by Francis Fowke Snr., and was altered by the replacement of the crenellated roof with the present form c.1820-30 by his son, Francis Fowke, Jnr. Further altered in 1929 when S porch and E doorway were altered, and the rendering stripped.
A small late Georgian country house of local coursed stone, with slate roof. Two storeys, and in part 3 storeys. The plan consists of a range of reception rooms facing SW, with ancillary rooms to the rear and service rooms placed around a courtyard open to the NE. Main reception range is articulated with corner and central pilasters rising to a central pediment, and an open pedimented porch on columns replacing the original curved porch, with glazed door with sidelights and fanlight, and an internal radial fanlight surviving from the original arrangement. Paired 8-paned windows over centre and twelve-paned sashes to both floors. Central plat band. The roof and side walls project at both ends, the walls finishing as square columns on dies, rising to pediments, between which the end elevation is bowed, all work of the 1820's, and has a 4-light mullioned and transomed window, the upper lights margin glazed. Rear ranges have similar 12-paned windows on 2 floors and gable stacks, but a tall stair window with intersecting glazing bars in the stair well. A secondary entrance has a Tuscan portico, and round headed opening over a 6-panelled door with radial fanlight.
Not accessible at the time of inspection (July 1995). Recorded by photograph of 1966 in the National Monuments Record as having depressed moulded arches on reeded imposts around the open stair hall, and 6-panelled doors. Plaster friezes and fluted pilasters in hall and on staircase, which has wrought iron vertical patterned balusters.
Included as a good example of a late Georgian country house.
Other nearby listed buildings