History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Toll Cottage at Boughrood Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Glasbury, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0379 / 52°2'16"N

Longitude: -3.2692 / 3°16'9"W

OS Eastings: 313039

OS Northings: 238484

OS Grid: SO130384

Mapcode National: GBR YV.FMR0

Mapcode Global: VH6BN.912K

Entry Name: Toll Cottage at Boughrood Bridge

Listing Date: 18 January 1996

Last Amended: 18 January 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17189

Building Class: Commercial

Location: Located on the SE side of Boughrood Bridge, at the Radnorshire end of the crossing to Brecknockshire

County: Powys

Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)

Community: Glasbury

Locality: Boughrood

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Llanstephan

History

The Toll house was added to Boughrood Bridge in 1843 by T.H.Wyatt and D.Brandon, for the Maesllwch Estate. It was occupied in the 1851 census by John and Elizabeth Meredith, cobblers.

Exterior

Coursed rubble with slate roof. Two storeys the upper being at the level of the bridge. Lower floor consisted of a living room, entered through a kitchen, having a fireplace on the back wall, and a stair to the upper room, which had an open fronted lobby on to the road and an inner room, the lobby now enclosed with a simple door to the road. Small round headed windows, triple to the SW elevation, double to the smaller rooms, and from the lobby overlooking the approaching road. Stack on rear wall. Wide eaves with boarded soffit and bargeboards.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an unusual example of a bridge tollhouse erected privately in the mid C19.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Boughrood Bridge
    Located off the A.470 N of Llyswen village, and forming the major bridge across the Wye between Glasbury and Erwood.
  • II Griffin Inn
    Located at the turn of the A.470 Builth to Brecon road in the centre of Llyswen village.
  • II Church of St. Gwendoline
    Located immediately NE of the centre of the village, approximately 60m from the A.470.
  • II Boughrood Castle
    Located E of Boughrood church, and S of the medieval castle site at Castle Farm, and approached by a driveway from the Boughrood to Glasbury Road.
  • II Star House
    Located immediately S of the centre of the village, at the end of a row of two, and detached on the right. At one time an inn or 'beer-house'.
  • II Barn and cowhouse range formerly with Village Farm
    Located on the SE side of the perimeter road around the circular graveyard of Boughrood Church, approximately 200m from the church building, and forming the NW and NE side of the farm yard behind Vil
  • II Village Farmhouse
    Located on the SE side of the perimeter road around the circular graveyard of Boughrood Church, approximately 200m from the church building.
  • II Church of St Cynog
    The church is located near the centre of a large circular graveyard, at the centre of the small village of Boughrood.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.