This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.642 / 52°38'31"N
Longitude: -3.1486 / 3°8'54"W
OS Eastings: 322378
OS Northings: 305532
OS Grid: SJ223055
Mapcode National: GBR B0.6MHN
Mapcode Global: WH79P.LVWG
Entry Name: Cowsheds at Coed-y-dinas
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16757
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Form the W and S boundaries of the farm-yard.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Coed-y-dinas was a home-farm of the Powis Estate by the mid C19 and was renamed 'The Earl of Powis's Model Farm' when plans for rebuilding it were put forward in 1862 and 1870. Although the scheme was never developed in its entirety, a substantial part of it was constructed in 1872. The cowsheds appear to be part of this late C19 redevelopment of the farm, although they have been remodelled more recently.
Exterior: The cowsheds comprise 2 single storeyed ranges at right-angles to each other. Much of the exterior walling has been reconstructed, but the W elevation retains its original detail with a single central round-headed doorway flanked by 6 slatted windows with flat brick heads, and with a further door at each end. Slate roofs with vents to E range; corrugated sheet to the louvred W range. The building is linked to the barn and granary range by a continuation of the higher roof- line over the louvre on the E range, thus forming a covered entrance to the farmyard.
Interior: The original layouts have been modified in adapting to modern farming requirements, but the original structure remains partially intact, with wide-span braced king-post trusses defining 10 bays in the W range, and 13 to the S.
The buildings form part of the ensemble of structures at the farm, which is an impressive example of late C19 model-farm architecture.
Reference: Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988, pp.50-54.
Other nearby listed buildings