This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6449 / 52°38'41"N
Longitude: -3.1518 / 3°9'6"W
OS Eastings: 322162
OS Northings: 305859
OS Grid: SJ221058
Mapcode National: GBR B0.6DP6
Mapcode Global: WH79P.KSB7
Plus Code: 9C4RJRVX+W7
Entry Name: Powis Estate Sawmill with cast-iron launder
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16797
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Alongside the road 1.6km approx. S of Welshpool.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Powis Estate Timberyard
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The saw-mill was probably built c1820-1830, and was water-powered from a stream taken under the Montgomeryshire Canal by an inverted syphon, and from the canal itself. The cast-iron feed trough was installed in 1844, made by R & W Jones of Ruabon. The mill was re-equipped in the 1890's, and the present horizontal saw was installed at that time (supplied by Robinson's of Rochdale): in order to accommodate it, the mill was extended with a short wing on the S side. Water-power continued to be used at the mill until 1949, when electrical power was introduced.
Thin-coursed local sandstone rubble, with slate roof. 3 storeyed (including basement stgorey), 6-window range, aligned at right-angles to the boundary wall. Basement storey entrance towards left in N elevation. Small-paned iron windows with cambered heads throughout. Wide gable-end entrance with wide double doors and loading door over, in heavy wood frames and separated a chamfered lintel. Overshot water wheel (cast-iron and wood) on S side, fed via a cast-iron launder enriched with cast figures of animals, pelple, etc. Gabled wing projects from S side, added to house the horizontal saw installed c1890.
Although remnants of the original power system (a pit-wheel drive) survive, most of the basement water-power machinery dates from the 1890's re-equipping: two toothed wheels transferred power onto the main belt-drive-shaft with a chain. Late C19 machinery surviving in the upper floors of the mill includes a large horizontal saw with log wagon, and a circular saw-bench.
A remarkably complete - and very rare - survival of a working C19 saw-mill.
Other nearby listed buildings