This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6451 / 52°38'42"N
Longitude: -3.1516 / 3°9'5"W
OS Eastings: 322179
OS Northings: 305886
OS Grid: SJ221058
Mapcode National: GBR B0.6DR9
Mapcode Global: WH79P.KSG1
Plus Code: 9C4RJRWX+29
Entry Name: Wagon shed, cement store and boundary wall to timber yard
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16798
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Forms the E boundary of the timber yard on the N side of the sawmill, with the wagon shed built against the W side of the wall.
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Powis Estate Timberyard
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The boundary walls are probably contemporary in origin with the establishment of the mill c1820-30 but were raised in height in a second phase of building, c1830-40. The Tithe Map shows that there were sheds occupying the site of the wagon shed by 1840, although the present buildings are almost certainly later reconstructions: the enclosed former cement store was built in 1904, and the adjacent wagon shed may be contemporary with it.
The boundary wall continues the line of the E gable of the mill to N and S, and is probably contemporary with it. Like the mill, it is built from thin-coursed local sandstone rubble, with the later work of well coursed and squared local rubble Wagon shed built against this wall to the N, with hipped slate roof. Open front of 3 bays, with cast-iron columns carried on padstones. A gabled cross range to the S was originally the cement store, and has a wide doorway with flat stone lintel, and upper loading door with cambered blue brick head and red-brick jambs beneath the gable.
Included as an integral part of the timber yard, and for group value with the saw-mill.
References: Stephen Hughes, The Archaeology of the Montgomeryshire Canal, 1988, p.74;
National Monuments Record, Aberystwyth.
Other nearby listed buildings