This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6173 / 52°37'2"N
Longitude: -3.1757 / 3°10'32"W
OS Eastings: 320499
OS Northings: 302824
OS Grid: SJ204028
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.80V9
Mapcode Global: WH79W.6G1T
Entry Name: Wernllwyd Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16813
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the west side of the main A483 road, 3km. approx S of Welshpool
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: The house has been built in several phases: the earliest part of the building is the rear wing to the NW, which may be late C16: the N bay of the main range which adjoins this was probably added in the C17 while the S bay and the staircase wing form a later phase still - perhaps late C18; externally, the main elevation of the main range forms a single build, and is therefore probably a refronting: the fenestration and some of the detail seem to be of c1900 (there is a date of 1903 on an adjacent wash house).
Exterior: Rear wing is timber framed; main range is brick to rear, random local rubble to front elevation and each gable return. Slate roof, with gable end and rear wall stacks. Main elevation faces E: 2 storeys with attic, 3 window range with central entrance. Chamfered timber posts to open porch, with plank doorway in pegged frame flanked by wide iron casements with slim mullions and transoms, and cambered brick heads. Similar windows to first floor, with smaller 2-light window over the doorway. Similar casement windows in attic dormers which have glazed cheeks. Rear elevation is brick (English garden wall bond), with massive stack to N bay, and projecting asymmetrical full height shallow wing towards centre housing staircase. Lower rear wing is box-framed in square panels with some tension bracing and queen strut gable truss; painted brick infil.
Interior: Rear wing comprises a single room with paired service rooms at one end: main room has deep complex moulded spine beams, with stepped stops to chamfers. Main range has central entrance hall with stairs rising to rear, and principle rooms to either side: coloured tiled floor to hall, and slender spindles to staircase. N room has heavy stop- chamfered paired transverse beams, and late C17 wall panelling (not in situ) to chimney breast. Similar beams in the room above, while the rooms in the S bay have much slimmer ceiling beams.
The house is of considerable interest for its early origins and the high quality of the interior timberwork of the rear wing, and for its development history; it forms a substantial farmhouse of considerable character.
Other nearby listed buildings