This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.149 / 53°8'56"N
Longitude: -3.8243 / 3°49'27"W
OS Eastings: 278090
OS Northings: 362872
OS Grid: SH780628
Mapcode National: GBR 63.5MHM
Mapcode Global: WH65X.734R
Entry Name: Tan-y-Celyn
Listing Date: 13 January 1966
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 3224
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at right-angles with the road at the southern approach of the town.
Built-Up Area: Trefriw
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Second-half C17 cottage with C18- C20 alterations and additions. Formerly the home of the Bard Ieuan Glan Geirionydd (1795-1855) as commemorated by a plain inscribed stone memorial to the W of the house on the roadside.
Rubble cottage of one-and-a-half storeys with renewed slate roof and pebble-dashed front. Projecting gabled end chimney to R (facing road) with rendered stack and plain cornice band; modern chimney at L, on the NE corner. Irregular 2-window front with central entrance below an early C20 conical porch hood of metal; supporting scrolled iron brackets. Original stopped-chamfered, oak door frame with boarded plank door. C20 2-pane casement windows flanking entrance and further, similar windows to 2 gabled brick dormers above; leaded glazing to those to the R. The roof level has been raised, probably in the C19 (evidence on the W gable). C19 recessed 12-pane sash window to E gable with modern window above. Second-quarter C18 extension to rear, altered C19 and forming an L with the primary range. 12-pane sash window as before to eastern return of this, contained within a gabled dormer with modern bargeboards.
A single-storey modern porch extension connects the cottage with a former barn immediately to the E, now part of the house. Single-storey, of whitened rubble and with modern slated roof. Window to long S side, and 2 modern timber-clad gabled dormers to each of long sides; modern glazing throughout. Modern glazed door to E gable with modern window above. This was formerly a loading bay and has an exposed timber lintel with wooden hoist beam.
Beamed ceiling to ground-floor with rough-chamfered beams and plain hewn joists; large fireplace to R (former hall) with oak bressummer. Mortising to the underside of the main beam to the L of the door shows the position of a former post-and-panel partition, recorded 1966 and since removed. Raised and fielded second-quarter C18 panelled door to first-floor leading into rear section. 3-bay roof to primary block with collar trusses including a pair of upper crucks to the centre. Modern roof to former barn section.
A C17 cottage with special interest for its association with the Bard Ieuan Glan Geirionydd.
Other nearby listed buildings