History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn to the W of Cwmannog

A Grade II Listed Building in Trefriw, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1516 / 53°9'5"N

Longitude: -3.8378 / 3°50'16"W

OS Eastings: 277197

OS Northings: 363181

OS Grid: SH771631

Mapcode National: GBR 62.5J70

Mapcode Global: WH65X.01RR

Entry Name: Barn to the W of Cwmannog

Listing Date: 30 May 1996

Last Amended: 30 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16933

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Located immediately W of the farmhouse and sited with its NW gable into the slope of the hill.

County: Conwy

Town: Trefriw

Community: Trefriw

Community: Trefriw

Locality: Cwmannog

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Trefriw

Exterior

Early C17 rubble barn with C18 additional bay to the upper end and a c.1895 extension stepped-down and adjoining to the lower end; old slate roof and corrugated iron patching; boulder foundations. Opposing off-centre entrances to the primary barn with old boarded doors. Plain window opening to upper L and boarded entrance beyond; open entrance to far R. Plain window opening to R on W side. 2 ventilation slits, one above the other, to the lower gable end, with further, blocked slits to the long sides, visible internally. The upper gable end has a crude boarded upper section, perhaps original, with a loading entrance to the centre. Adjoining, and both stepped-down and set back slightly, is an additional bay with tin-sheeted roof; plain opening to farmyard side. The lower addition is of dressed and coursed slate blocks and has a central entrance and flanking windows, all open; large dressed slate lintels.

Interior

4 bay pegged oak roof to primary barn, of tie-beam and raking strut type and with construction marks clearly visible; purlins and rafters mostly replaced.

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value with other listed items at Cwmannog.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Chaff mill and carthouse at Cwmannog
    Located on the roadside 50m SW of Cwmannog farmhouse and set against a hill-slope to the rear.
  • II Cwmannog Farmhouse AKA Gymmannog
    Located 1.5 km W of Trefriw immediately to the N of the Trefriw-Llyn Geirionydd road, where it bridges the Afon Crafnant; set against the slope of a hill facing a random-cobbled enclosure.
  • II Pont -y- Pandy
    Spanning the Afon Crafnant immediately above the Fairy Falls at the western extremity of the town.
  • II Bron Edda
    Located at the SE edge of the town on a hillside, backing onto the Coed y Wern; at the end of a short lane leading S from the Pont-y-Pandy.
  • II The Old Rectory
    Located towards the SE edge of the town; occupying a commanding hillside position S of the Afon Crafnant, close to the old Trefriw woollen mills.
  • II Peniel Welsh Presbyterian Chapel
    Strikingly located in the centre of the town, set against the hillside above and to the SW of the parish church; raised up on a revetted and railed terrace with simple gates and gatepiers.
  • II Plas Coch
    On the street line in the town centre, just S of Llys Llewelyn and opposite the Trefriw Hall; set back slightly behind a low wall with simple C19 gates and iron railings.
  • II Llys Llewelyn
    Prominently sited in the town centre just S of the church of St. Mary; set back slightly from the road behind a low garden wall with simple spear-headed gates and railings.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.