This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1327 / 53°7'57"N
Longitude: -3.8021 / 3°48'7"W
OS Eastings: 279533
OS Northings: 361026
OS Grid: SH795610
Mapcode National: GBR 64.6LWT
Mapcode Global: WH65X.KJQ7
Entry Name: Former Coachhouse at Gwydir Castle including associated wall and entrance arch adjoining to the E
Listing Date: 30 May 1996
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 16935
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Backing on to the N side of the B 5106 (Gwydir Road), immediately to the W of Gwydir Castle.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Rectangular building essentially of the 1820s in its present form, though perhaps incorporating part of an earlier structure. An engraving of Gwydir of c.1720 shows a rectangular storeyed building in this position; this may possibly have been the summer house (said by Sir Richard Colte-Hoare to have been dated 1592) or the Pigeon House mentioned as being completed in 1597. From c.1828 a 2-storey stable with accommodation above and an adjoining single-storey coachhouse.
Rubble construction with large clasping buttresses to the corners. Of 2 sections, the former stable/living part, to the L, a 2-storey square block with the coachhouse section continued as a single-storey projection. The L section is parapeted with a moulded cornice and has a flat roof. Central Tudor-arched entrance with chamfered reveals to garden-facing (N) side, stepped up from the L on a slightly raised terrace; flanking leaded windows. Beyond, to the R, a smaller but similar entrance; both have ribbed and studded doors, the smaller with a contemporary 1820s glazed panel. The chamfered arch and reveals are of slatestone and are perhaps re-used early C16 material incorporated here following demolition of subsidiary ranges at the castle in 1816. 2 chamfered slit-lights to upper floor, flanking a modern leaded window, an enlargement of a similar light. Further slits to the E and S (road-facing) sides, 2 and 3 respectively. Slate roof to coach house section with parapet and cornice as before, continued to form a shallow gable on the W side. Large former coach/cart opening with depressed slatestone arch; modern infill and window, with further, plain leaded window to the N face. Fragmentary cobbled pavement in front of the gable entrance. Plain, modern interiors.
Adjoining the building to the rear, and running eastwards some 50m, parallel with the road towards the castle, is a section of rubble perimeter wall of about 1.8m height with large dressed slatestone capping; this is surmounted by three decorative slatestone trefoil finials of characteristic `Gwydir' type. The wall returns to the NW in a zigzag in front of the W wing of the castle, where there is a service entrance with boarded and studded door and surmounting finial, as before, to a raised flat arch above.
Listed as an 1820s Tudor-style coach house, perhaps with earlier origins, and for group value with other listed items at Gwydir Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings