This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0449 / 52°2'41"N
Longitude: -3.1951 / 3°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 318134
OS Northings: 239177
OS Grid: SO181391
Mapcode National: GBR YY.F82Y
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.KVRQ
Plus Code: 9C4R2RV3+XX
Entry Name: Treble Hill
Listing Date: 15 December 1995
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 17058
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on an elevated terrace above the Wye and main Hay to Brecon road, facing over the bridge to Glasbury.
Locality: Treble Hill
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The house was probably built in c1800 by John Morgan, a wool merchant, who was born in 1749. He supplied wool to the Yorkshire mills which had been sorted into the various staples in a large 3-storey building to the S of the house, which was demolished in 1955. It descended through his sons, a great grandson becoming Lord Mayor of London. The wool business ceased in bankruptcy in 1839.
Rubble stone, formerly rendered, with slate roof. Originally of 2 storeys with cellars, later raised to three storeys, 3 bays, double-pile plan. Eight steps to the central entrance; margin glazed doors within a rounded headed panelled doorcase and fanlight with curved glazing bars. Modillion cornice. To either side, on the ground floor, tripartite 12-paned sashes, divided by columns and square imposts with fluted caps, all within a wide 3-centred stone arch. To first floor, 12-pane sashes and 6-pane sashes to second floor with brick reveals. Wide boxed eaves and a hipped roof. String course at base of SW gable chimney at original roof level.
To the rear, a 2-storey wing behind the NE side, and added at right angles behind the SW side, a glasshouse by Messenger & Co. probably late C19 or early C20.
Central through hall, the front section with a modillioned cornice and ceiling rose, and door through spine wall to rear section, widened to take a fine dog leg stair with bracketed treads and wreathed handrail. Wide 4-centred arch between front and back rooms, now blocked.
Included as a fine and unaltered example of a prosperous merchant's country house of the early C19.
Other nearby listed buildings