History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Bridge at Treble Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Gwernyfed, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0439 / 52°2'38"N

Longitude: -3.1948 / 3°11'41"W

OS Eastings: 318153

OS Northings: 239064

OS Grid: SO181390

Mapcode National: GBR YY.FG5H

Mapcode Global: VH6BH.KWXJ

Entry Name: Railway Bridge at Treble Hill

Listing Date: 15 December 1995

Last Amended: 15 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17067

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located on the minor road from Treble Hill Glasbury to Felindre, approximately 100m from the junction with the A438 SW of the Glasbury Bridge.

County: Powys

Community: Gwernyfed

Community: Gwernyfed

Locality: Treble Hill

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Glasbury

History

The Brecon to Eardisley tramroad was bought by the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway Co. (HHB) on the 6th June 1862. It improved the line and radii of curves over the next few years, including building the Glasbury Cutting. The railway was amalgamated with the Brecon and Merthyr Railway in 1865, and the whole line was leased to the Midland Railway Company in 1874, then becoming known as the Mid-Wales Railway. The line was closed in 1963.

Exterior

Railway bridge of c1864-5 for the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Branch of the Mid-Wales Railway. Rock faced ashlar sandstone, the corners and features margin-draughted, and the vault turned in brick. Tall semi-circular arch rising from a projecting string course, the voussoirs and keystones pronounced, and flanked by piers having a pilaster standing forward of the sharply curved flank retaining walls of the embankment. Limestone cornice and caps to the pilasters. The bridge is in its original condition on the NW side, the parapet slightly extended in iron on the SE side.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a noble design and a rare surviving largely unaltered example of a railway structure on the Midland railway, later the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Treble Hill
    Located on an elevated terrace above the Wye and main Hay to Brecon road, facing over the bridge to Glasbury.
  • II Treble Hill Baptist Chapel
    Located in a conspicuous position on the Brecknock end of the causeway to Glasbury bridge, with its entrance gable behind a narrow forecourt facing the road.
  • II Tir uched
    Located on a minor road leading due east from Treble Hill, Glasbury in the direction of Llanigon.
  • II Ashgrove House
    Located at the end of a terrace of 2 houses, on the NW side of the road, behind a short front garden and hedge.
  • II Outbuilding at Tir Uched
    Located on a separate driveway from the main road entrance, to the S of the rear of the house.
  • II Aberllynfi House
    The house is located on the right bank of the River Wye, at right angles and close to the main Brecon to Hay road.
  • II* Barn at Old Vicarage (including attached granary and stores)
    The barn is located immediately NE of the Old Vicarage, with a forecourt to the end of the lane, all within the bend of the River Wye.
  • II Glasbury House
    The house is located in its own grounds E of The Green, near the centre of Glasbury village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.