This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0425 / 52°2'32"N
Longitude: -3.1923 / 3°11'32"W
OS Eastings: 318317
OS Northings: 238899
OS Grid: SO183388
Mapcode National: GBR YY.FGRL
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.MX6M
Entry Name: Tir uched
Listing Date: 15 December 1995
Last Amended: 15 December 1995
Source ID: 17065
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a minor road leading due east from Treble Hill, Glasbury in the direction of Llanigon.
Locality: Treble Hill
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A house of early to mid C19 probably built by John Morgan (1794-1856), known as John Morgan of Tir Uched, who was a prosperous woolstapler. It originally had a long access driveway from Llywnau bach.
Rubble stone with slate roof. Three storeys, 3 bays, double pile plan. Symmetrical elevation to N comprising a central 6-panelled door, the top panels glazed, and doorcase with fluted pilasters and triangular pediment, set within panelled reveals. To either side, timber casement French windows with 3-paned overlights. First floor has 12-pane sashes, and 6-pane to second floor. The elevation is covered with an external openwork iron verandah of 2 storeys, with a swept lead roof, returning at the NE corner on to the garden front, and stopping against a wing. The first floor gallery is now supported on timber replacing the iron columns. Wide boxed eaves. The garden elevation is of 4 bays, the southern bay projecting as a wing under a hipped roof. Sixteen-paned sashes to ground and first floors of the end bay, and a semi-circular window to the top floor. All openings have brick dressings. A margin-glazed door with overlight in the 2nd bay opens under the verandah on to the garden.
Not accessible at the time of inspection, May 1995, though known to retain fluted door surrounds with rosette corners. Dog leg stair behind garden door has the handrail tightly turned at the bottom.
Included as a largely unaltered example of a prosperous merchant's house of the early-mid C19.
Other nearby listed buildings