This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0069 / 53°0'24"N
Longitude: -3.0558 / 3°3'20"W
OS Eastings: 329251
OS Northings: 346029
OS Grid: SJ292460
Mapcode National: GBR 73.GN6P
Mapcode Global: WH894.1P46
Entry Name: Church of Saint John Evangelist
Listing Date: 15 January 1996
Last Amended: 15 January 1996
Source ID: 17089
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In a wooded churchyard in the angle of Church Road and Cemetery Road.
Community: Rhosllanerchrugog (Rhosllannerchrugog)
Built-Up Area: Rhosllanerchrugog
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A parish was formed in 1844, and the church was built 1852-3, to designs of Thomas Penson the younger.
Coursed and squared stone with slate roofs. Norman style. Cruciform plan with nave, transepts and chancel, and bell-tower in angle of S transept and chancel. Nave of 4 bays, each with a broad single-light round-arched window, with engaged recessed shafts and cable-moulded arches. S door in shallow gabled portal with 3 orders of moulding to the archway. Corbel table continues across the entire building, incorporating human and animal heads. Paired W windows. Triple windows in N and S walls of transepts. 3-stage bell-tower has paired bell-chamber lights set in chevron moulded archway, and is surmounted by a pyramidal spirelet. Gabled organ chamber to S of chancel, which has triple E-window with chevron moulding and enriched capitals to engaged shafts.
The Norman style of the exterior is carried through in interior detail. Cruciform plan: nave of 4 bays, with wide crossing to transepts and chancel. Nave articulated by braced collar and queen-post trusses sprung from wall posts. Similar trusses to transepts and chancel; nave and transept roofs intersect over the crossing with a braced central post carried from crossed principles. Cable and billet moulding to transept arches which are sprung from corbelled coupled wall-shafts. Chancel arch similar, but with full-height shafts, and stylised stiff-leaf capitals. Chancel has chevron moulded arcading to E wall. Fittings largely designed with the church, including choir stalls with arcading to front bench, arcaded pulpit, and font which is a plain basin with cable moulding carried on clustered shafts. Stained glass in chancel and N transept, c1882 by H.Walter Lonsdale: figurative panels on a grisaille ground.
Listed as a good example of a Romanesque revival church, in which the stylistic vocabulary is carried through both architecture and interior fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings