This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0133 / 53°0'47"N
Longitude: -3.0607 / 3°3'38"W
OS Eastings: 328933
OS Northings: 346747
OS Grid: SJ289467
Mapcode National: GBR 73.G112
Mapcode Global: WH77Z.YJP9
Entry Name: Bethlehem Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 15 January 1996
Last Amended: 15 January 1996
Source ID: 17090
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Prominently sited, close to the junction of Hall Street with Mountain Street, at the NW end of the settlement.
Community: Rhosllanerchrugog (Rhosllannerchrugog)
Built-Up Area: Rhosllanerchrugog
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A re-sited datestone bears the date of 1812, but it seems unlikely that any of the existing building can be dated so early: the main front was however added to an earlier building (possibly of mid C19 date) in 1889.
It is clear that the Rundbogenstil front was added to an earlier building: this is visible in each return elevation as a rough rubble wide gabled structure, with 3 camber-headed windows on each floor. The front of 1889 has wide central gable, flanked in a balanced asymmetrical composition, by a clock tower on the left, and a canted stair tower to the right. Rock-faced stone with freestone dressings. Clock tower of 3 stages, with arcaded windows in the lower storeys, the clock set into a blind arcade below the bell-cast spirelet. Recessed central gable has arcade of 3 bays to ground floor, with entrance doors set to either side into the projecting towers. Stepped triple round-arched window with engaged shafts above, with flanking single arched lights, above a balustraded string course. Canted stair tower has stepped round-arched stair windows, and paired windows above, set in squared architraves. Pyramidal roof.
The body of the chapel is very wide, with a canted gallery running around 3 sides. This is carried on fluted cast-iron shafts. Arched recess for organ enriched with pilasters with capitals, and moulded panels to underside of arch. Organ of 1908, by Norman and Beard. Plain panelled ceiling. Seating renewed c1926 - the set fawr was removed at this time. Curved steps with turned balusters to either side of pulpit, which has balustraded and fretwork panels.
The chapel is an unusual example of the Rundbogenstil, and a prominent feature of Rhos.
Other nearby listed buildings