Monument to Sir Briggs
A Grade II Listed Building in Coedkernew, Newport
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Upload Photo »
Latitude: 51.561 / 51°33'39"N
Longitude: -3.029 / 3°1'44"W
OS Eastings: 328766
OS Northings: 185181
OS Grid: ST287851
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DW8B
Mapcode Global: VH7BK.G125
Entry Name: Monument to Sir Briggs
Listing Date: 31 July 1996
Last Amended: 31 July 1996
Source ID: 17099
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Set in the centre of the rear half of the Cedar Garden, to the SW side of the house, screened by four yew hedges.
Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)
Locality: Tredegar House
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). The obelisk commemorates 'Sir Briggs', the horse that carried Captain Godfrey Morgan, later Viscount Tredegar, at the Charge of the Light Brigade in 1854.
Mid C19 stone obelisk and plinth, set upon square granite base. Carved scene of horse and soldier to front face. Inscription beneath commemorates the life of the horse "Sir Briggs" who carried his master through a series of battles on the Continent, including the Charge of the Light Brigade, in 1854.
Reasons for Listing
Listed grade II for group value with Tredegar House and the adjoining gardens and for its historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings
Boundary Walls to Orangery Garden and Cedar Garden including three sets of gatepiers
Set immediately to the W of Tredegar House and the Orangery, enclosing the Cedar Garden and the Orangery Garden. Set of brick piers set at the N end of the Orangery Garden, the S of the Cedar Garden a
Country House set in a landscaped parkland setting on the South side of the M4 at Tredegar.
Bothy and Potting Shed to the West of Bryans Building
Set immediately to the West of Bryans Building on an E/W axis and serving the Kitchen garden
Garden walls to SE of Cedar Garden, inc gate piers, gates and flanking workshops
To S of Tredegar House, garden wall running SE from the Cedar Garden and with attached workshops at the SE end, flanking a pair of brick piers and wrought iron gates.
Located on the West side of the inner court, SE of Tredegar House. Aligned on NW/SE axis, immediately N of Bryans Building.
Bryans Building and attached boundary walls to S and N
Set on the West side of the outer yard, opposite the Lesser Barn. C19 weighbridge located to front of building, formerly used for weighing agricultural produce from the Estate.
Edney Gates, inc flanking screen and attached walls with opposing gates to S end of Middle Court
Middle Court is located immediately to the NW of Tredegar House separating Tredegar House from the Stable Court, the Edney Gates and screen are set at the N end dividing the house and Stable Court.
Stable Block including Orangery
Located to the NW of Tredegar House, facing onto the cobbled Stable Court, and enclosed to the rear by the Stable Yard.