This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3018 / 52°18'6"N
Longitude: -4.1336 / 4°8'0"W
OS Eastings: 254617
OS Northings: 269223
OS Grid: SN546692
Mapcode National: GBR 8P.X4VX
Mapcode Global: VH4FX.9DLR
Entry Name: Capel Rhiwbwys
Listing Date: 9 August 1996
Last Amended: 9 August 1996
Source ID: 17132
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on steep bank on W side of B4337, 0.3km SE of Llanrhystyd. Set behind large railed forecourt.
Community: Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist Chapel built 1832. Gallery and ceiling added 1871. Restored 1926. Important early cause, begun in 1740s at Tref-y-clawdd, where Daniel Rowlands and Howell Harris preached. First chapel erected 1781, enlarged 1820.
Large lateral fronted four-bay chapel. Rendered elevations. Slate roof, bracketed eaves. Two small round arched windows to centre, 22-paned with marginal/intersecting glazing. Outer bays each with a wide 16-pane hornless sash window to the first floor, cambered heads: these are set higher than the arched windows, due to the 1871 heightening. Painted slate sills. Wide doorway to each outer bay with early C20 paired half-glazed doors. Tablet below left window inscribed: "Capel Rhiwbwys. Adeiladwyd gyntaf yn y flwyddyn 1781. A helaethwyd 1820. Ac a adeiladwyd 1832. Adeiladwyd yr oriel a thowyd Nen 1871". Smaller tablet below reading: "Adnewydd y llawr 1926". Left end with first floor 16-pane sash as front (blocked window to left). Rear with sashes as above, three to each storey. Two similar sashes to right end.
Five-sided gallery of 1871. Front with long panels. Iron columns with foliate caps. Plaster ceiling with centre roundel: smaller one each side and towards rear. Pulpit, probably of 1871, 3 bays wide, each panelled, blank oculi and quatrefoils above to centre: timber balustrading above side panels. Consoled bookshelf. Short staircases with turned balusters and newels, the latter with ball finials. Tall panelled backboard behind pulpit with pilasters: triangular pediment with acroteriae. Broad bullnosed Big Seat with half-rail of turned balusters. Lower pews of 1926 as are the panelled inner porches, which have 4-pane windows facing the pulpit filled with leaded and tinted glazing.
Listed as a large late Georgian chapel retaining much of its character with an impressive C19 interior. Historically interesting for the early foundation of this cause.
Other nearby listed buildings