This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3073 / 52°18'26"N
Longitude: -4.1386 / 4°8'18"W
OS Eastings: 254292
OS Northings: 269843
OS Grid: SN542698
Mapcode National: GBR 8P.WPNS
Mapcode Global: VH4FX.68YK
Plus Code: 9C4Q8V46+WH
Entry Name: Mill House
Listing Date: 12 June 1972
Last Amended: 9 August 1996
Source ID: 17143
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated on E side of village, alongside by-road, E of Maes-y-felin. Afon Wyre to S, Afon Carrog to N.
Community: Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud)
Built-Up Area: Llanrhystud
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Late C18/early C19 corn mill and house. Shown on 1841 Tithe map. Later C19/early C20 alterations and additions, including late C19 rebuilding of kiln. The owner in 1841 was David Saunders Davies and the occupier, Richard Morgan. Birthplace of D.Wyre Lewis, bard, in 1872.
House with mill complex attached to N. Rubble construction (house front is colourwashed). Slate roofs. House with timber eaves and barges. Rubble gable chimney stacks: also brick gable stack to rear wing. Three bay front to house, offset to left. Four-pane sash windows, the two to first floor rising to eaves and set closer to centre. Larger lower windows with timber lintels and slate sills: left window set higher. The placing of the windows suggest a late C19 refenestration. Central boarded door, cambered stone voussoired head. Modern tablet above, denoting birthplace of D.Wyre Lewis. Later rear wing, 4-pane sash windows with brick surrounds, two to rear and two to N: slate sills. Small porch in angle between wing and house. Rear of main house with C20 glazing except for small sash window to first floor. S end with C20 additions and conservatory.
Attached to N, linking house and mill is a recessed lower building of two storeys and bays, forming the grain-drying kiln. This was rebuilt in later C19. Colourwashed rubble front with boarded door to right and upper window to left: timber lintels. Rear with small window: stone lintel and sill.
Well-preserved mill house.
Other nearby listed buildings