This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3284 / 52°19'42"N
Longitude: -4.1138 / 4°6'49"W
OS Eastings: 256048
OS Northings: 272139
OS Grid: SN560721
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q.VHQ5
Mapcode Global: VH4FQ.NQ1X
Entry Name: Church of St Deiniol
Listing Date: 21 January 1964
Last Amended: 9 August 1996
Source ID: 17135
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated prominently above Llanddeiniol village, some 600m E of A 487, on W side of Carrog valley.
Community: Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1832-5 by George Clinton of Aberystwyth; much remodelled in 1883 by Middleton and Son of Cheltenham for £895, R Williams & Son builders. 1832-5 church had short chancel, three Tudor-arched nave windows and clasped W tower. The 1883 remodelling provided the nave windows and roof (to higher pitch), tower W door and W window, and a big rounded apse raised on a basement bier-house. This work was paid for by the Rev W H Sinnett of Carrog house.
Squared rubble stone, ashlar dressings and slate roofs with red terracotta ridges. Nave roof with coped gables and E cross-finial. W tower, nave and round-apsed chancel. Tower partly clasped by nave W end. Plain square stage up to nave ridge height then slightly setback bell-stage with chamfered pointed opening each side and corbelled shelf under battlements. Ashlar W door with cusped head and hoodmould. Lancet nave windows with cusped heads and hoodmoulds, one each side at W end and paired to long sides. Apse has high battered undercroft with shoulder-headed E door, then set-back walling with ashlar sill and eaves courses. Five windows to curved apse with extra light in straight S side; ogee-headed cusped main lights with 3 foiled circles over.
Ashlar chancel arch on corbelled shafts and ashlar rear arches to windows. Tower projects into nave with cusped door. The ringing-floor has evidence that it was open on 3 sides, perhaps part of a gallery, and small Gothic-panelled cast-iron piers are deeply inset into E face. Tower N and S doors with decorative stained glass and Gothic vestry screen with similar Arts and Crafts glazing. Nave has fine 7-sided panelled roof; chancel with wood-ribbed curved roof and ashlar wall recess to S. Three stained-glass windows of 1883 by Clayton & Bell; marble plaques to the Rev I Griffith (d 1839) and various members of the Richards family.
Included for its special architectural interest, particularly the prominent apse above the village, where there are several other listed items.
Other nearby listed buildings