History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberffrwd

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud), Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3282 / 52°19'41"N

Longitude: -4.1132 / 4°6'47"W

OS Eastings: 256092

OS Northings: 272109

OS Grid: SN560721

Mapcode National: GBR 8Q.VHWR

Mapcode Global: VH4FQ.NRD3

Entry Name: Aberffrwd

Listing Date: 21 January 1964

Last Amended: 9 August 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17138

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated just below and to E of Llanddeiniol Church, attached to Church Hall

County: Ceredigion

Town: Llanrhystyd

Community: Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud)

Community: Llanrhystyd

Locality: Llanddeiniol

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanddeiniol

History

1827 former teacher's house of Llanddeiniol National School (now Church Hall), built for the Rev. T. Richards of Carrog. Much extended in 1852, possibly as house for vicar after death of the Rev. T. Richards (d 1852).

Exterior

Rubble stone with slate roofs, and stone stacks. Two buildings united by common paired-bracket eaves and gable. Original house, to left is two-storey with basement, two-window range, and stone end stacks. Arched windows with stone voussoirs, the upper pair with very unusual iron glazing bars in tiny panes with radiating-bar heads. The lower right window is narrower and has a horned sash with intersecting tracery. Ground floor left 6-panel door up five stone steps. Fan-traceried overlight in pilastered timber doorcase with renewed shelf hood on brackets. Two-window range to rear.

1852 addition projects to right. Two storeys and attic, two-window range offset to left. High plinth, two 12-pane sashes each floor with stone voussoirs and stone sills. Gable has stone dentil course across (similar to porch at Carrog) and centre circular window with attractive iron tracery. N side wall stack and single storey small outhouses. Rear has 12-pane sash each floor left and 8-pane stair lights right.

Interior

Two staircases. Panelled shutters in NE room. 3-bay roof in N addition.

Reasons for Listing

A well-preserved late Georgian to early Victorian schoolhouse which retains much original detail.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church Hall
    Situated just below and to the E of Llanddeiniol Church, attached to Aberffrwd.
  • II Bridge to NE of Aberffrwd
    Situated just NE of Aberffrwd at end of disused S drive to Carrog.
  • II Church of St Deiniol
    Situated prominently above Llanddeiniol village, some 600m E of A 487, on W side of Carrog valley.
  • II Carrog
    Situated some 400m NE of Llandeniol Church, but reached via lane running SE from A 487 from junction about 1 Km N of turning to Llanddeiniol
  • II Milestone on A 487
    Situated on W side just opposite turning to Llanddeiniol
  • II Milestone near Y Meini
    Situated on W side of the A487 some 3 km SW of Blaenplwyf, at the end of the drive to Y Meini.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.