This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3316 / 52°19'53"N
Longitude: -4.1106 / 4°6'38"W
OS Eastings: 256277
OS Northings: 272482
OS Grid: SN562724
Mapcode National: GBR 8Q.VBJN
Mapcode Global: VH4FQ.PNQH
Entry Name: Carrog
Listing Date: 21 January 1964
Last Amended: 9 August 1996
Source ID: 17140
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 400m NE of Llandeniol Church, but reached via lane running SE from A 487 from junction about 1 Km N of turning to Llanddeiniol
Community: Llanrhystyd (Llanrhystud)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Earlier C19 small country house built for the Rev. Thomas Richards (1761-1852), the detail suggesting c1840-50 but marked on 1843 Tithe Map and said to be of c1830. Tombs at Llanddeiniol commemorate James Morice of Carrog (1759-1839) and his son James (1786-1848) who moved to Wallog, Llangorwen. After 1852 owned by Mary Morice (1790-1866), who contributed much money to new churches in Aberystwyth, then the Rev. James Hughes (1823-1867) and then the Rev. W. Hughes Sinnett (d1912), who paid for the rebuilding of Llanddeiniol Church 1883.
Squared rubble stone with deep-eaved roof, of small slates, and stone end stacks. Basement, two-storeys and attic. Four-window range of 12-pane sashes with raised band and plinth over four 20-pane basement windows. Stone voussoirs and stone sills. N end has two 9-pane loft lights and two 12-pane sashes each floor, first floor left blank. Centre big enclosed stone porch with stone dentils under moulded eaves cornice. Doorcase offset to right with tall pilasters and cornice, fielded panelled reveals and 6-panel door with four fielded panels, and large traceried overlight. Overlight has radiating-bar fan tracery within rectangular light. Slate steps. Iron railings each side to basement. S end has similar loft lights and ground floor C20 conservatory.
Rear has centre 12-pane and 6-pane stair lights and 12-pane each floor to right. Basement area bridged by brick porch with 6-panel door. To left, single storey rear wing with tall stone ridge stack. Basement steps on W side. Broad basement window, ground floor window with 36 small panes. Horizontal-sliding casement pair in N end wall. Casement pair and blocked window in E side.
Two front rooms, spine passage and rear stair. Passage and stair have modillion cornices. Open-well stair with stick balusters, in 4 flights. Cornice modillions repeated on stair underside. Front NE room has heavily-detailed reeded cornice. C20 fireplaces.
Included for its architectural interest as a good late Georgian house with well-preserved character.
Other nearby listed buildings