This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0619 / 52°3'42"N
Longitude: -3.1907 / 3°11'26"W
OS Eastings: 318468
OS Northings: 241061
OS Grid: SO184410
Mapcode National: GBR YY.D95T
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.NF2P
Entry Name: Bryn-yr-hydd
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17190
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Bryn-yr-hydd lies prominently on a bend on the small road leading from the A.438 N of Glasbury to Bryn-yr-hydd farm and, beyond the brow of the hill, Bryn-yr-hydd Common, from there are wide views ove
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Gentry house of early C19 (appearing on the 1844 tithe map), the facade remodelled c.1860. Rendered, with hipped slate roof. Two storeys. The front (S) elevation is symmetrical, of five window bays, the centre bay set forward containing a corniced door overlaid by an added central portico on slender wooden Tuscan columns, its entablature sloping forward. Three steps rise to a half-glazed door set back in a deep reveal, with double fanlights. Above the door tripartite plate glass window within a segmental headed opening. The two bays either side also have plate glass sash windows; on the ground floor set in shallow arches springing from a raised horizontal band, and a further horizontal plat band connects the sills of the first floor windows. At the ends of the facade, an extra narrow half-bay is set back. To the rear, on the same longitudinal axis, a brick service wing and a lean-to conservatory.
Central stair hall with dog leg stair placed towards the rear. Doors from the hallway lead to the library to the left, with an elaborate fire-surround, and to the dining room on the right, also with a timber fire surround and a door to the kitchen to the rear. Six-panelled doors and panelled splayed window reveals.
Included as a well-preserved minor gentry house of the early-mid Victorian period.
Other nearby listed buildings