This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0487 / 52°2'55"N
Longitude: -3.2163 / 3°12'58"W
OS Eastings: 316684
OS Northings: 239626
OS Grid: SO166396
Mapcode National: GBR YX.F2TQ
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.6RHT
Entry Name: Glasbury Methodist Church
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17199
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located along the side the road from Glasbury to Boughrood, at the eastern edge of the hamlet of Cwmbach, within its narrow graveyard which extends further to the W
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Wesleyan Chapel, built 1818.
Rubble stone, rendered, lined and painted, with slate roof half-hipped to the E. The entrance is central to the S side, away from the road; a pair of panelled doors in a heavy frame, with painted fanlight over. To either side, paned windows with timber 'Y'-tracery in pointed headed openings. Similar windows on the N (road) side. Close eaves. Small W gable window with diamond glazing also with a pointed head. Attached to the E gable, the former schoolroom or vestry, now kitchen and meeting room, with door to road and six-paned windows. Gable stack.
The interior is divided by a cross walk, all to the E raised, with central 3-sided pulpit set against a moulded arch on the gable wall. Fixed lectern. Segmental plastered vault continues undifferentiated into the plastered walls. Gallery at W end on 3 panelled posts, having a panelled front on an arcaded cornice. Box pews east of the cross walk, facing inwards. On gallery, 3 rows of original pews, and iron candle holders. Estimated seating capacity 80. The former schoolroom is of 3 roof bays, king-post trusses with struts from lower haunch. Gable fireplace with cupboards either side.
Monuments: On E wall, tablet framed in Carrara marble, open book in head roundel, by Sheldon, to George and Mary Jane Butcher, commemorating donations to the Chapel, c.1850. S wall: (b) slate tablet to S & M Mills, C20. (c) similar framed tablet with urn on cornice, by Thomas, to Richard Hargest of Skynews †1842, noting bequest. Brasses to Thomas Pugh Jones of Skynlas, 1923 and Evan Davies, 1941.
Included as a well-preserved and attractive early C19 chapel still in use.
Other nearby listed buildings