This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0484 / 52°2'54"N
Longitude: -3.2144 / 3°12'51"W
OS Eastings: 316813
OS Northings: 239583
OS Grid: SO168395
Mapcode National: GBR YX.F39D
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.7SH2
Plus Code: 9C4R2QXP+96
Entry Name: Clynheddwch
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17200
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the S end of the hamlet of Cwmbach, and set amid extensive lawns on the SW side of the road from Glasbury.
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
A large vicarage built in 1886 by an unrecorded architect in the domestic-revival style of R.N.Shaw for the Revd. H. George Griffiths, vicar of Glasbury, 1883-1923, perhaps more directly under the influence of Nesfield who had just completed Gwernyfed Park nearby at the time.
English bond brickwork with much tile hanging, tiled roofs with large arch panelled brick chimneys. Two storeys and attic. Central 2-storey block with raised tile-hung cornice and hipped roof, having a large 4-light mullioned and transomed gabled dormer, crowned with a wind vane at the apex. Narrow canted transomed timber bays to first floor carried on brackets, and a 4-light mullioned and transomed window with leaded glazing on the ground floor. Entrance is in a block in the re-entrant angle to left. Limestone Tudor-arched doorcase with high set label moulding and panelled door. The first floor over is jettied on shaped joists, tile hung, and has a lean-to roof. The other windows are irregularly placed; mostly mullioned and transomed moulded frames. Gable stack on S wing. The N cross wing is of 2 storeys with a low hipped roof, the upper floor also tile hung. Moulded mullioned and transomed windows; the first floor window framed on timber brackets. Lean-to on N end. The rear elevation is more symmetrical, with two tile hung gables, and a raised central section with half hipped roof. Drawing room in angle of the S wing has a bay window with curved glass, and an open balustraded first floor balcony. Large bow window to rear.
Not accessible at time of inspection (July 1995). Said to have arched feature in hall. Stone fireplace in drawing room. Kitchen and services at NW end.
Included as a fine and well-preserved example of a domestic revival house built for a wealthy country parson at his own expense.
Other nearby listed buildings