Gwynne monument in churchyard of the Church of St Stephen
A Grade II Listed Building in Glasbury, Powys
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Upload Photo »
Latitude: 52.0708 / 52°4'14"N
Longitude: -3.2854 / 3°17'7"W
OS Eastings: 311994
OS Northings: 242155
OS Grid: SO119421
Mapcode National: GBR YT.CPQL
Mapcode Global: VH6BG.06JX
Entry Name: Gwynne monument in churchyard of the Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17203
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located in the churchyard of St Stephen's Church, approximately 8m SE of the SE corner of the chancel.
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
A limestone family tomb. c.1850. A tapered die on a moulded base, carrying a moulded cornice and cavetto plinth rising to a gadrooned urn topped by a pineapple carving. The monument is surrounded by iron railings with spear head terminals. To Ann Gwynne of Brynsyfiog, †1810 and son, James Gwynne, the son of Gwynne of Trevethe (Brecon), of Pwll Piran †1846 and others of the family.
Reasons for Listing
Included as a monument having some architectural and local historical interest, of group value with the listed church and lych-gate
Other nearby listed buildings
Church of St Stephen (also known as Steffan and Istyffan)
Located near the crest of the hill, with extensive views SE over the valley of the Wye, and is set towards the N end of its large ovoid churchyard.
Lych-gate and stable at the entrance to the churchyard of the Church of St Stephen
The Church is located near the crest of the hill, with extensive views SE over the valley of the Wye. The entrance building or lych-gate to the churchyard stands above the church on the E side of the
Located above the valley floor, just above the junction with the road from Llanstephen with the road on the left bank of the Wye. The house is on a platform site with the earlier end uphill.
Situated 3.2 km N of Llyswen village, below the main road at the border between Bronllys and Erwood Communities, and Brecknock and Radnor Districts. Besides the Sgithen Brook.
Milestone at Keepers' Cottage
Located at the back of the road verge against the driveway to Keeper's Cottage, close to the parish boundary between Llyswen and Llandefalle parishes
Situated at top of steep track from Trericket Mill.
Barn range at Penygraig
Situated across the yard to W and at right angles to farmhouse at Penygraig.
Outbuilding at Hafod y Garreg
Situated across lower end of yard at Hafod-y-Garreg.