This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.802 / 51°48'7"N
Longitude: -3.0282 / 3°1'41"W
OS Eastings: 329195
OS Northings: 211987
OS Grid: SO291119
Mapcode National: GBR F5.XMGQ
Mapcode Global: VH796.GYGY
Plus Code: 9C3RRX2C+RP
Entry Name: Castle Lower Bridge (Canal Bridge No 94)
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17241
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the canal 0.25km south-east of Bridge No 95; tow-path to the east.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was finally abandoned in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964 and is still ongoing.
This bridge lies within the section constructed by William Crosley between 1809 and 1812. Semicircular-arched coursed rubble canal bridge of standard design with voussoirs and swept out parapets and small ramped buttresses to ends.
Listed for its special interest as one of the surviving early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal bridges.
Other nearby listed buildings