This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7979 / 51°47'52"N
Longitude: -3.0246 / 3°1'28"W
OS Eastings: 329436
OS Northings: 211524
OS Grid: SO294115
Mapcode National: GBR F5.XVS2
Mapcode Global: VH79D.J2CK
Entry Name: Attached Canal-side Building to Richards Farm Bridge
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17642
Building Class: Transport
Location: The bridge spans the canal 0.25km south of bridge No 94 and reached by a lane from B 4269. Tow-path to the east side.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
History: The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was finally abandoned in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964.
Description: Attached at the south-west corner is a contemporary rubble building set at right angles to the canal. It is storeyed on the south side and comprises a stable and store with boarded loft door. It has a corrugated roof and a modern lean-to on the south (Llanellen) side. Straight joints indicate that it was built in two stages and the thickness of the back wall may indicate that this structure was adapted from a former bank of limekilns.
Listed for its special interest as a surviving early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal bridge with attached contemporary canal-side building.
References: Nicholson's guides to the Waterways, vol 3, South-west
R A Stevens, Brecknock & Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals (Towpath Guide No 2), (Cambridge, 1974), p55.
Other nearby listed buildings