This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7995 / 51°47'58"N
Longitude: -3.0276 / 3°1'39"W
OS Eastings: 329233
OS Northings: 211702
OS Grid: SO292117
Mapcode National: GBR F5.XTWC
Mapcode Global: VH79D.G1SC
Entry Name: Embanked Aqueduct to south-east of Canal Bridge No 94
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17242
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated 0.25km south-east of bridge No 94, midway between Llanfoist and Llanellen. Carries the canal around the hillside and over a stream that comes down from the Blorenge towards the Usk.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, limeand coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was finally abandoned in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964 and is still ongoing.
This aqueduct lies within the section completed in 1812 under William Crosley. The line of this canal closely follows the contours with the result that instead of locks there are embanked aqueducts on sharp bends. In several places these streams serve as feeders for the canal with half their water being diverted into the canal and the remainder passing under the aqueduct. In this case the engineering of the canal also included a pond in woodland immediately beneath the canal and remains of its masonry dam still exist, approximately 4m high.
Masonry revetment on downhill side forms the embanked aqueduct to carry the canal around the corner and over the stream which passes under a low semicircular arch with voussoirs; no parapets. West side, including overflow, not accessible.
Listed as a scarce and well-preserved engineering feature of this early C19 canal.
Other nearby listed buildings