This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8185 / 51°49'6"N
Longitude: -3.0314 / 3°1'53"W
OS Eastings: 329003
OS Northings: 213821
OS Grid: SO290138
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WLP2
Mapcode Global: VH796.DKS9
Plus Code: 9C3RRX99+9C
Entry Name: Gates and Gate-piers at main entrance to New Cemetery
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17245
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: At the main drive entrance to the New Cemetery from the narrow lane immediately to south of Usk Bridge.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Built-Up Area: Llanfoist
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The eastern end of New Cemetery was opened in 1894 and is landscaped in the style of a Victorian public park or garden. These gate-piers are presumed to be contemporary with the chapel and probably also designed by E A Johnson, architect of Abergavenny.
Tall pair of Gothic gate-piers of bull-nosed rubble with enormous freestone caps in the manner of tabernacles. These are gabled and panelled with lancets and trefoils and are themselves surmounted by domical octagonal caps with foliated finials (missing to right). The wrought-iron gates are similarly Gothic with dog-bars and lock-bars. The entrance is flanked by curved rubble walls that turn outwards to join the boundary wall at the roadside.
Included for group value with the New Cemetery Chapel and Lychgate.
Abergavenny New Cemetery is included in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens in Wales No PGW (Gt) 37.
Other nearby listed buildings