History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Todleth House

A Grade II Listed Building in Churchstoke, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5356 / 52°32'8"N

Longitude: -3.0564 / 3°3'23"W

OS Eastings: 328441

OS Northings: 293606

OS Grid: SO284936

Mapcode National: GBR B4.F66C

Mapcode Global: VH75P.ZJ2K

Entry Name: Todleth House

Listing Date: 1 October 1996

Last Amended: 1 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17345

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located along a driveway to the N of the A489 with gardens to front and rear.

County: Powys

Town: Montgomery

Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)

Community: Churchstoke

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Church Stoke

History

House on ancient site. Shown on the Tithe Map of 1840 and probably built a few years before this date.

Exterior

Double depth plan with symmetrical front, 3 bays, 2 storeys and cellar, 2 gable stacks. Front range in brickwork, rear range of rubble masonry; slate roofs with overhanging eaves. The impressive front facade has central entrance in projecting pedimented bay. Shallow gabled porch approached by stone steps, constructed in timber and glazed panels some of which are stained. Panelled and half lit double doors with small paned windows to the sides. The front door is 6-panelled. Above the porch is a tall stair light with gauged brick arched heads and radial glazing. This rises into the stone pediment above. To each side is a 4 pane sash window under a flat arched finely gauged brick head; continuous stone sill band. On the ground floor the windows are tripartite sashes with segmental brick arches and projecting stone sills. The tops of the window frames are decorated. Cellar windows visible with stone lintels.

Interior

Central hallway and staircase with reception rooms to each side. Large kitchen to rear. Panelled doors and reveals.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved example of a mid C19 gentry house with an unusual degree of architectural refinement in its elevational treatment.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Milestone
    Located in the verge on the S side of the A489 in front of the car park to Harry Tuffins supermarket.
  • II Broadway House
    Located on the N side of the A489, in landscaped gardens with a pond to the W . Paddock and stables to the front and farm buildings to the rear.
  • II Milestone
    Located behind the boundary wall of the garden to Ivy house on the S side of the A489.
  • II The Ivy House
    Situated on the A489 (S side), approximately 100m W of turning to Hyssington. Set back from the road by a short driveway, and with outbuildings to the N and E.
  • II Fir Court Stables
    Located alongside Castle Road. Fir Court stands to its S, and the Tithe Map of 1840 suggests that there was once a further range of farm buildings between the two.
  • II Fir Court
    Located S of Castle Road behind Fir Court Stables and with a small garden to the rear. The house is at the centre of a small housing development of c1995.
  • II Churchstoke Hall
    Located on the corner of Castle Road and Green Lane. A courtyard to the rear of the hall is lined by a barn converted to dwellings and a mews with attached house.
  • II Hurdley Hall
    Isolated house reached down a steep driveway from Hurdley and Lower Hurdley Farms. The house faces N on to a driveway, with a large garden on the other three sides.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.