History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fir Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Montgomery, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5391 / 52°32'20"N

Longitude: -3.0716 / 3°4'17"W

OS Eastings: 327418

OS Northings: 294006

OS Grid: SO274940

Mapcode National: GBR B3.F2H0

Mapcode Global: VH75P.QF1X

Plus Code: 9C4RGWQH+J9

Entry Name: Fir Court

Listing Date: 26 October 1953

Last Amended: 1 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7694

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located S of Castle Road behind Fir Court Stables and with a small garden to the rear. The house is at the centre of a small housing development of c1995.

County: Powys

Town: Montgomery

Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)

Community: Churchstoke

Built-Up Area: Churchstoke

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Church Stoke

History

The building is dated by an inscription to 1685 and the plan-form is of one phase. The 1840 Tithe apportionment refers to house, buildings, etc. in the ownership of representatives of late Middleton. The Middletons were the original owners of the house.

Exterior

Unusual plan comprising 2 cross wings and a short central range which forms the entrance bay. Symmetrical to front and rear. Lobby entry plan, 3 window range and two full storeys. Timber-framed with tile roof, central red brick stack, and small E side stack. The timbering consists of box framing with plaster panels, except above the gable bressumers where there are decorative cross braces. The timber framing has been replaced or faced with render to the rear and in the lower storey of the front elevation. The E gable is of coursed masonry construction with a central window to each storey. On the front gable bressumer of the W cross wing is an inscription in relief which reads:

What is here by man erected: it be by God protected: John Middleton: Gent: An: Do: 1685: Aetatis. Suae 27: RTC.

There are plain barge boards surmounted by finials to front and rear. The modern, 6-panelled front door is within a modern glazed porch and the front elevation has wooden casement windows with nine panes on the lower storey and 6 panes on the upper storey. The rear has a modern porch with lean-to roof and open timber work encasing a modern 4-panelled door. The windows are modern casements in differing styles. There is a small rendered lean-to at W end with asbestos corrugated roof and planked door to front.

Interior

No access to the interior (The house was unoccupied at time of inspection). The masonry E end with its small chimney would suggest that the service area was in the E bay.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a relatively unaltered example of an important regional type of lobby entry, timber framed house of the late C17. The symmetrical plan is particularly notable as it shows renaissance influences on the regional, vernacular, sub-medieval type. Forms a group with its surviving outbuilding to the N, Fir Court Stables.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Fir Court Stables
    Located alongside Castle Road. Fir Court stands to its S, and the Tithe Map of 1840 suggests that there was once a further range of farm buildings between the two.
  • II Churchstoke Hall
    Located on the corner of Castle Road and Green Lane. A courtyard to the rear of the hall is lined by a barn converted to dwellings and a mews with attached house.
  • II Churchstoke Pottery, Teashop and School House
    Formerly school and school house fronting Castle Road, with a car park to the E which used to be the playground.
  • II Bridge View
    Cottage located on the E side of the continuation of Wernddu Lane close to the junction with Castle Road, slightly raised above the surrounding ground.
  • II Brynafon
    Adjoining house and shop located centrally within the village, opposite the Court House Public House on the corner of Cae Camlad. Cobbled paving in front.
  • II Sylfaen
    Adjoining house and shop located centrally within the village, opposite the Court House Public House on the corner of Cae Camlad. Cobbled paving in front.
  • II The Court House Inn
    Public House located immediately N of the Church in the centre of the village. There is a car park in front and outbuildings to the rear.
  • II Church of St Nicholas
    The church stands in a large circular churchyard in a raised position overlooking the confluence of the Rivers Caebitra and Camlad in a central position within the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.