History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchstoke Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Montgomery, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5401 / 52°32'24"N

Longitude: -3.0713 / 3°4'16"W

OS Eastings: 327438

OS Northings: 294123

OS Grid: SO274941

Mapcode National: GBR B3.F2HQ

Mapcode Global: VH75P.QF53

Plus Code: 9C4RGWRH+2F

Entry Name: Churchstoke Hall

Listing Date: 26 October 1953

Last Amended: 1 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7693

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on the corner of Castle Road and Green Lane. A courtyard to the rear of the hall is lined by a barn converted to dwellings and a mews with attached house.

County: Powys

Town: Montgomery

Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)

Community: Churchstoke

Built-Up Area: Churchstoke

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Church Stoke

History

A large L-shaped hall constructed in three phases. The N unit is the earliest and is said to date to 1591. The S unit dates to c 1640, while the S wing was built in 1948. Formerly belonged to the Earls of Powis and shown on a survey map of 1785, where the 1591 unit is shown as being narrower than the 1640 unit.

Exterior

Excluding the modern wing, the house has a lobby entry plan of c 1640 with 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Timber framing and masonry under a slate roof with two brick stacks. The doorway is in the W elevation opposite the ridge stack, with a parlour bay to the S and 2 bays separated by a corridor to the N. There is a gable stack at the N end in the kitchen. The staircase is located to the rear of the ridge stack in a projecting outshut, along with the entrance to the cellar. The 1591 plan may have been essentially similar (RCAHMW). The 2 stacks appear to date to this earlier phase and have triple, star-shaped shafts constructed in flat red bricks. The original entrance was probably in the same position as the present entrance, opposite the south stack. The parlour bay to the S may have been added in c1640 though possibly on the site of a pre-existing unit.

The S end is close studded with brick nogging in the lower storey. The upper storey is jettied, and the framing may have been replaced (RCAHMW). Its low row of panels contain diagonal bracing resulting in a criss-cross design, with diamond shaped panels lining the verges of the gable. The earlier bays to the N are of substantial random masonry in the lower storey with what appears to be framing similar to the S bay in the upper storey. However, it is plaster decorated with black and white paint. An early, but undated photograph of the house shows that the first storey originally contained box framing decorated with cusping and this is thought to survive below the plaster facing. The rear is of random rubble masonry while the N end is box framed with brick nogging.

The W door and door frame are said to have come from the Church and date to the C17 (RCHAMW). The door is planked with metal studs and the heavy door frame has a small cornice supported by consoles. The windows are either tripartite casements or single lights with diamond quarries. Some have cast iron glazing bars. The windows to the rear are modern replacements and there is a panelled back door. The outshut has small pane casements and the window to the cellar is under a segmental brick arch..

The 1948 wing is in vernacular revival style with a lower storey of masonry, light timbering and plaster to the upper storey, an axial ridge stack and an entrance porch on the S side.

Interior

The parlour at the S end has substantial, deep chamfered spine and cross beams while the subsidiary joists are deeply chamfered with cut stops. Dragon beams support the S jetty. The fireplace has a panelled overmantle, the panels being intricately carved with an arcade-type design. They are said to have been a loan from the Earl of Powis and date from c1800. A panelled partition separates the staircase from the corridor to the rear of the chimney stack. The central bay has two spine beams with deep chamfers and ogee stops, while the kitchen spine beams are deeply chamfered with cut stops and there are plain subsidiary joists. There is a bake oven to the rear of the kitchen fireplace.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of a large timber-framed lobby entry style house of the sub-medieval period.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Fir Court Stables
    Located alongside Castle Road. Fir Court stands to its S, and the Tithe Map of 1840 suggests that there was once a further range of farm buildings between the two.
  • II Churchstoke Pottery, Teashop and School House
    Formerly school and school house fronting Castle Road, with a car park to the E which used to be the playground.
  • II Fir Court
    Located S of Castle Road behind Fir Court Stables and with a small garden to the rear. The house is at the centre of a small housing development of c1995.
  • II Bridge View
    Cottage located on the E side of the continuation of Wernddu Lane close to the junction with Castle Road, slightly raised above the surrounding ground.
  • II Brynafon
    Adjoining house and shop located centrally within the village, opposite the Court House Public House on the corner of Cae Camlad. Cobbled paving in front.
  • II Sylfaen
    Adjoining house and shop located centrally within the village, opposite the Court House Public House on the corner of Cae Camlad. Cobbled paving in front.
  • II ,2 Bridge End,Churchstoke,Montgomery,
    Houses located at the junction of Bridge End and Castle Road, facing the road bridge over the River Camlad and in a position slightly set down from the road.
  • II The Court House Inn
    Public House located immediately N of the Church in the centre of the village. There is a car park in front and outbuildings to the rear.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.