History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Felin Coed

A Grade II Listed Building in Nantcwnlle, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1888 / 52°11'19"N

Longitude: -4.1079 / 4°6'28"W

OS Eastings: 255998

OS Northings: 256601

OS Grid: SN559566

Mapcode National: GBR DQ.49P3

Mapcode Global: VH4GH.R74X

Entry Name: Felin Coed

Listing Date: 26 November 1996

Last Amended: 26 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17801

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated off left side of lane that connects the B 4342 Talsarn- Llangeitho road with Abermeurig across the Aeron. House is opposite Pentre farm and screened from the road by modern house.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Nantcwnlle (Nancwnlle)

Community: Nantcwnlle

Locality: Llundain Fach

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Talsarn

History

Later C18 cob or clom-walled house, the miller's house of Felin Coed corn-mill. Associated with the bard "Cern Goch", John Jenkins, in later C19. Marked on 1843 Nantcwnlle Tithe Map as owned by Theophilus Jones, occupied by Thomas Jones.

Exterior

Whitewashed earth walls with zinc-covered thatched roof, and brick end stacks. S end was half-hipped. Single storey and loft, double-fronted the facade stepping markedly downhill. The front wall has rubble stone base to left, stepped up to door head, and door has yellow brick pier on right side. Timber lintels. Six-pane sash to left, ledged door centre, and low-set 12-pane sash to right. Loft light in S end wall, single rear window.

Interior

Roof structure, much obscured, apparently of three pairs of curved principals, the foot of the centre one on the rear wall is scarfed. Interior plan of upper kitchen, centre hall with tongue-and-groove panelling and ladder access to loft, and lower parlour, with earth floor. In loft underthatch is visible at upper end and there are no collars to trusses. Centre truss is tied at floor level.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as one of the best examples in the region of a clom cottage with good scarfed cruck trusses to the roof.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Abermeurig
    Situated in Aeron valley, some 300m N of Abermeurig village.
  • II Outbuilding at Dolwerdd
    Situated just SW of Dolwerdd, facing E over front yard.
  • II* Dolwerdd
    Situated behind farm-buildings of Gwastod, some 0.5 km NE of Abermeurig house.
  • II Plas Trefilan
    Situated just SE of Trefilan parish church, in its own grounds, bounded by the Nant Rhiwfallen to E.
  • II Gatepiers and gates to Gelli
    Situated immediately adjoining Gelli Lodge on minor road from Trefilan to Cilcennin, some 300m NW of Trefilan church.
  • II Gelli Lodge
    Situated at head of E drive to Gelli, some 300m NW of Trefilan church
  • II Milestone on B4337 near Tegfan
    Situated on W side of B4337, some 200m S of Tegfan, some 0.5 km N of Trefilan.
  • II Talsarn Smithy
    Situated in Talsarn village, on E side of B 4337 nearly opposite Red Lion Inn.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.