History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Nantcwnlle, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1881 / 52°11'17"N

Longitude: -4.1025 / 4°6'9"W

OS Eastings: 256366

OS Northings: 256511

OS Grid: SN563565

Mapcode National: GBR DQ.4C1M

Mapcode Global: VH4GH.V80G

Plus Code: 9C4Q5VQW+6X

Entry Name: Abermeurig

Listing Date: 5 December 1963

Last Amended: 26 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9915

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in Aeron valley, some 300m N of Abermeurig village.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Nantcwnlle (Nancwnlle)

Community: Nantcwnlle

Locality: Abermeurig

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Late C18 to early C19 country house. Owned by the Edwards family in early C18. Probably rebuilt in later C18 by John Edwardes 1723-96, who inherited in 1780. The house is said to have been burnt and rebuilt about 1800, and about that time passed by marriage to the Rogers family of Hafod, Nantcwnlle. Dr John Rogers (1786-1846) was owner in early Cl9.


Roughcast with slate deep-eaved roof with timber mutule cornice, and stone end stacks, the N stack very large and with external chimneybreast. Three-storey, three-window range of broad sashes. 12-pane with additional narrower outer panes to main floors, six-pane with similar outer panes to upper floor. Louvred wooden shutters. Centre 6-panel door with rectangular overlight and traceried fan. Timber columned porch, two columns, two reeded half-columns, triglyph frieze and cornice. Plain S end wall with C20 conservatory, door to ground floor left. Three-window, two-storey outshut rear and centre stair gable with attic lunette and mid-height 12-pane window. To each side is ground floor 12-pane and first floor 6-pane sash.

Single storey wing to N, unusually apse-ended, said to have been a dairy. Tall centre S front cambered-headed 24-pane window with stone voussoirs, under small gable. Casement window to left.


Early C19 interior detail. Stick-baluster stair with ramped rail and thin paired column newels. Elliptical arch to hallway, panelled. 6-panel doors. C20 fireplaces in main front rooms, SE room has attractive plaster cornice of urns and grapes and plaster floral ceiling border.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good Georgian country house of c1800 which has retained its regional character.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Felin Coed
    Situated off left side of lane that connects the B 4342 Talsarn- Llangeitho road with Abermeurig across the Aeron. House is opposite Pentre farm and screened from the road by modern house.
  • II Outbuilding at Dolwerdd
    Situated just SW of Dolwerdd, facing E over front yard.
  • II* Dolwerdd
    Situated behind farm-buildings of Gwastod, some 0.5 km NE of Abermeurig house.
  • II Plas Trefilan
    Situated just SE of Trefilan parish church, in its own grounds, bounded by the Nant Rhiwfallen to E.
  • II Outbuilding range at Trefynor-Isaf
    Situated to the right of the present farmhouse, on N side of the farmyard at Trefynor Isaf, which is approached by a drive of some 400m running SW from Abermeurig-Llwynygroes road from a point just SW
  • II Former farmhouse and cowshed at Trefynor Isaf
    Situated to left of present farmhouse, on S side of farmyard at Trefynor Isaf, which is approached by drive of some 400m running SW from Abermeurig-Llwynygroes road from point just W of Tynant.
  • II Hafod
    Situated just N of junction of B4342 Llangeitho road, and B 4576 to Bwlch-llan, with access from B 4576.
  • II Gatepiers and gates to Gelli
    Situated immediately adjoining Gelli Lodge on minor road from Trefilan to Cilcennin, some 300m NW of Trefilan church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.